Visual changes and headaches. Very important!!!!!

While I am waiting for my sons doctors office to call me back I thought I would see what you ladies thought.

My 11 yr old son has been seeing black dots that grow bigger then he can't see anything. They totally blind him. He says it feels like his eyelids are closing but they are not. This lasts for a few seconds and he gets a headache while it is happening and after. The headache only lasts for a few minutes then goes away.

This has happened 3 times now. Does anyone have any experience in what i am talking about?

tarams98020

Asked by tarams98020 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Lots of people have vision disturbances before getting a migraine. I see a light spot, like when you look at a bright light, right in my center of vision. It expands out in a bright ring, slowly. I get pain when it disappears. From the bright light to the worst of the pain, it's about 20 minutes, so I always know when it's coming and take something to try to lessen it right away.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I have migraines and always before one I see spots. They also make my vision go away, to where I can not see, very scary. I am on medication for it now. Only happens about 3 times a year compared to 3 times a month. Bless him I hope this is all it is!!!
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 5:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I get those when I have a migraine but I have never had a migraine that only lasted a few minutes...good luck at the doctor:)
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 5:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Ive had the same problem since i was around 9 years old, ive been to all sorts of specialist and doctors, and they all tie it down to one thing and thats migrains, yes i know it sounds dumb, but vision changes and such is actually the first since of a migrain, and sometimes headaches dont have to come along with it.
    mommy2b092011

Answer by mommy2b092011 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Wow - you definitely need to have him see an Ophthalmologist!! He needs to have a "field vision study" done!! I have something called "Optic Neuritis" which has these symptoms. Mine is caused by Multiple Sclerosis. But, he may have something Neurological going on and I would advise you see the: Ophthalmologist or a Neurologist as soon as possible!! GL!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Migraines? Vision problems? I get the black dots before a migraine but the migraine lasts hours not minutes. A lot or preteen and teens get migraines during puberty and then they go away. Get a referral to a neurologist and get his eyes checked.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2011