anyone have a child that has had spinal fusion?

Hello!I took my 8 year to the bone doctor on friday.He has severe scoliosis it has progressed 12% in 2 1/2 months.Before now it has taken 14-18 months for it to progress 4-19 %.This is the largest and quickest jump.We are now forced to do spinal fusion.He has hydrocephalus(water on brain),three shunts,cerebral palsy,three different types of seizures,asthma,sleep apnea,blind,he eats by g-tube only,he has had 30 shunt surgeries,12 infection w/shunts, 4 blood infections,6 other surgeries through out his small body ,he cannot roll,crawl,walk,talk or reposition .He is in the 95% on the growth chart for his weight and height at 8.He weighs 72pounds. Both of his hips are dislocated.His right shoulder dislocates every time he raises his arm and when I lift him .He can only use that arm to play with baby rattles.He is in constant pain.I just want to know anyone's experience with this surgery.

carebear2025

Asked by carebear2025 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Health

• Oh my gosh. It must be exhausting for you and your family. Make sure you are getting all the social support you can. I work in a trauma center and we do spinal fusions all the time, I have never seen a case with any complications. If the neurosurgeon thinks the surgery will be beneficial than you should expect good results. Ask around about the surgen though, not all are created equal... Keep your chin up! Give that kid a hug for me! God Bless.

CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 12:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Thank you the neurosurgeon,neurologist,lung specialist,infection control will all be involved.This is our last resort.We tried a brace he could only tolerate it 2 hrs a day they wanted him to wear it 23.The surgeon has been telling me for 3 1/2 years he does not qualify for the surgery do to his medical history.This has been chosen as last and only option.Very good surgeon referred by another well know at akron childrens medical center.
    carebear2025

Answer by carebear2025 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2008