Type of Ultrasound

I'm confused about the type of ultrasound I'm going to have. At my first appt. they did an external and an internal. The tech said that she wasn't sure why they even do external because they always do internal now every time. After talking to friends and family that have had children, I learned some of them had never even had internal ultrasounds. What should I be expecting?

L_Bass

Asked by L_Bass at 11:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• How many weeks are you now? They do the internal sonogram 4-8 weeks usually. After that you get an external sonogram at 17-20 weeks. Unless there is an issue - like at your first visit you were too early to see the "sac" and they are checking again - you get one internal and one external sonogram.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm @ 13 weeks pregnant with twins. I had my first ultrasound at 8 weeks and thought that maybe because there were 2 that they needed to do internal ones. I have to now go to a special perinatologist for ultrasounds, but want to know what to expect. If I don't have to do the internal one, that would be great!
    L_Bass

Answer by L_Bass at 11:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Very early in pregnancy the internal is much more accurate due to less of your body tissue for the sound waves to pass through. I imagine this is more important with twins, since they are usually smaller in size than a single fetus of the same age.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Ohh congrats on the twins. I've only had singular pregnancies and they didn't do any internal sonograms after the first trimester. But the internal is what most women get now for the first check up - it lets the doctor know for sure that the baby is in the uterus and not ectopic, and they can generally see the heartbeat(s). If you're 14 weeks along or further I would *assume* the external sonogram. Having no twin experience I don't know if there is a difference in what you should expect though - beyond more sonograms to make sure both twins are thriving.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2008