How do you make an oatmeal bath? (homemade not aveeno)

My 14 mo dd has a pretty bad diaper rash. My doctor and Grandma recommended giving her an oatmeal bath in the past. I don't want to buy aveeno if I can just make it at home. Grandma is 73 I'm sure they didn't have the pre-made stuff 40-50 years ago!

I would just ask her but she is in the hospital right now.

Is it just plain oatmeal in warm/hot water? How much do I use? Must I grind the oatmeal first?

Tkelly3

Asked by Tkelly3 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's actually very simple. Take a cup of oatmeal and place in your blender or food processor. Blend until is it VERY fine. To test if it is fine enough, take a small spoonful and place it in a glass of lukewarm water. If it dissolves easily, you've got the right consistency. If it doesn't, just blend another minute or so and test again.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 8:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• Exactly. Blend it like you are processing it into flour, then add to the lukewarm bath. I usually add around 3/4 cup or so.
    1plustwinsmommy

Answer by 1plustwinsmommy at 8:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• This will probably get a laugh:

years ago, i bought some oatmeal bath stuff that had been made by my ex bfs mother and took a bath in it, it was amkazing and i felt very soft and soothed. Then I did the same thing again three days later, only to hear my mom yelling in horror.."What is going on in here, GROSS!!!!!" freaked out in horror, I say "what are you talking about" She says..."Your bath is full of maggots!" lol...So I can only assume they were there days before when i took the first bath. Freaky right? Needless to say I never used anything from my exs mother again and only did my own HOMEMADE and MAGGOT FREE baths.

Just thought i'd share a creepy story :)
    morganonmic

Answer by morganonmic at 8:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• That's the grossest thing I've heard today! LOL!
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 8:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2011

• I would buy a jar of Paladin cream.....it worked on my son's Ask the pharmacist for it
    ilovemyliam

Answer by ilovemyliam at 11:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2011

• Thanks everyone for the advice. The oatmeal bath doesn't seem to be working and she's never had a rash for this long so I'll be taking her to the doctor Monday.
    Tkelly3

Comment by Tkelly3 (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2011