• In the Spotlight:

What do you like BEST about homeschooling? Would you consider public schools? Why or why not?

This IS a question. No getting nasty with this. I'm hoping this stinkin' question doesn't get DELETED!

This is open to anyone that would like to discuss it.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I love the flexibility of it. I love not having to worry about what my child is being taught in school. I love not having to get up early and then having to be back at the school at a certain time. I love when I see the "light" come on when my child "gets it."

No I would not consider public schools, class sizes are too big and unfortunately there are too many parents who expect the teacher to discipline their children which means less learning for my child.

And before anyone says anything, my child was in public school for kindergarden and first grade. I would and probably will eventually put him in private school.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I am a former home schooler and I loved having the time with my children and being able to assist them in their learning career. I chose to have them go to a Catholic school this year, even though we are not Catholic. I wanted a private education with Christian values along with discipline. They are loving school and all doing well in it. I would homeschool them again if I had the opportunity. Right now, I am overwhelmed with all the things I have to do to take care of doctor issues for health reasons for myself and two of my kids who have epilepsy. They get special education at school that has really helped them learn more. I would have no problem putting them in public school provided the class size is smaller and kids weren't so out of control. Until that happens.....I don't want to.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I like that I can tailor the lessons to their speed and abilities, my oldest is doing K pre-reading and 2-3rd grade math. That I can cater to their natural learning styles while teaching them "normal" study habits.

Our schools are not so good here, so no public school.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 12:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• No I need seven hours a day to myself. Otherwise I might die of an aneurism.
    Anonymous

• My favorite thing is the freedom. I like being able to go to the zoo if the kids are curious about zebras, or go on vacation in April when everybody else is in school. I like being able to individualize their education to what they can do and what they're interested in.

Would I consider public school? NEVER.
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 2:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If you are qualified to teach your children at home (have gone to school etc), then it's not a bad thing. You can even become a tutor to other children, to make extra income. They do miss out on somethings in public schools though, like sports, plays, etc. But there are other things that you can do to substitute this... like dance classes, ymca, etc. That way the child still can interact with other children in a healthy way, and learn as well. So if it's done in a manor like this, I say go for it. But remember, kids need interaction as well, and activities. So if that's not possible public or even private schools are a better option.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• So don't read it??
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• anon, you're getting old. stop trying to control what others discuss, FFS.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• it's too hard to chose a single aspect that I like best.
    I like determining the content of the curriculum, particularly in history, so it's not as random as the history I was taught in public schools, which jumped around chronologically and geographically and was still pathetically incomplete.
    I like the closeness with my kid, and seeing his excitement at learning new things and mastering new skills.
    I like the flexibilty and the efficiency of it: when he "gets" it, there's no need to spend a week and beat it into the ground with worksheets, that skill just gets added to the review list to keep him in practice.
    I myself enjoy learning, and I think a great part of homeschooling is for our kids to see that even as adults learning is an ongoing process. Did you know the Anarctic is considered a desert? I didn't until I started homeschooling.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• as for the question of public school, I don't know why we would want to stop homeschooling, but if we were to consider it it would of course depend on the school. some are better than others but the more I learn about unschooling and see the results we are having, the less inclined I am to go with any public school.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008