How many of you are considered poverty-level or lower-class but are living comfortably?

Without using government assistance like food stamps, welfare, TANF, etc. Public aid not counting since it's not giving you extra income.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, we get food stamps nowadays...but we lived comfortably before we had them, too. We just live within our means, don't use credit cards, stuff like that. We're happy, we don't have to have name-brand stuff and we don't have to eat out all the time and buy the latest gadgets. We also don't have a car payment and our rent is meager compared to what the average person pays, so I guess we're lucky. Food stamps have helped just a little...but not as much as one might think.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• We don't get food stamps or nothing like that. My husband is retired and was lucky enough to have a good retirement.. We live within our means. We have a mortgage payment, car payment, utilities, etc.. We are FAR from rich.. I wouldn't say that we are poor.. We have food, and clothes and a roof over our head. I'd say that I'm lucky to have that much..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Right now, I'm not getting a dime. I was working and had my own place, but I was definately low low class. The only things I could afford was rent and formula and diapers. I couldn't afford food for myself.. most days I went without eating because money was so tight and I needed things for my daugther. I tried to get some help, at least a little child care (which NY state offers) so maybe I could get another job to help with other things (father of baby is a dead beat, no child support, nada). I am so sick of seeing people that are low class buying flat screens, when I'm struggling to make it through one day. Finally I moved in with my parents, so i could go back to school.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I can't make it where I live on my own. There are no jobs, or anything. My only hope is that now I have one less bill to pay (still have a huge debt pile from ex though), that now I can get out of debt, support my daughter, and get out of this mess.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• my 2 yr old is on medical. we have food in the fridge, my kids have clothes on there backs, shoes on there feet. we have a bucket that takes us from point A to point B. we have a roof over our heads. so we feel blessed.

mexicu

Answer by mexicu at 3:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• No, not comfortable at all. If I could get daycare assistance and MassHealth I probably would be comfortable. Daycare and Healthcare are killing me and my husband.
    Anonymous

• caitxrawks - please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm curious as to why (and how) you got on foodstamps if you were living comfortably before them. seriously, I'm not trying to 'bash', just curious.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 7:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• well we are in the army... money gets tight, but we really dont need for anything....just dont get to do any fun extra stuff right now.... i def. could use some daycare assistance tho
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm no longer considered lower class or poverty level but I was at one point. The only thing I got help with was WIC and the income limit here for WIC goes up into the middle class so I could probably still qualify for that but I don't need it. When I was considered lower class I was perfectly comfortable. I just made sure not to buy things I didn't need, I shopped at Goodwill (I still do too) and other thrift or wearhouse stores for my clothes. I didn't eat out but maybe once every 2 or 3 months. Didn't go to the movies, I'd just rent or borrow from a friend. I made it fine being lower class, but I'm glad i'm not there anymore because I get to enjoy things a little more not having to worry so much about working my butt off in overtime hours to afford everything.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 9:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• We get all our money back plus some at tax time, so I guess we qualify for lower class. Not really sure. I have to budget carefully and I stretch meals pretty far. I work part time now but didn't last year and that makes things a litlle easier. We did get free school lunches for the month of June last year when Hubby got laid off, but that was it.

But we are living just fine and happy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2008