anyone have a child that has had spinal fusion?

Hello!I took my 8 year to the bone doctor on friday.He has severe scoliosis it has progressed 12% in 2 1/2 months.Before now it has taken 14-18 months for it to progress 4-19 %.This is the largest and quickest jump.We are now forced to do spinal fusion.He has hydrocephalus(water on brain),three shunts,cerebral palsy,three different types of seizures,asthma,sleep apnea,blind,he eats by g-tube only,he has had 30 shunt surgeries,12 infection w/shunts, 4 blood infections,6 other surgeries through out his small body ,he cannot roll,crawl,walk,talk or reposition .He is in the 95% on the growth chart for his weight and height at 8.He weighs 72pounds. Both of his hips are dislocated.His right shoulder dislocates every time he raises his arm and when I lift him .He can only use that arm to play with baby rattles.He is in constant pain.I just want to know anyone's experience with this surgery.

carebear2025

Asked by carebear2025 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Here's a group on CafeMom that could probably answer your questions better.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1576

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I have only seen them done when I was a nursing student, and none on a child with your childs health history. But it's MAJOR surgery and they tend to be in a lot of pain afterwards. There is a lot of physical therapy involved. But of the children I saw, after they were feeling better they were happy they had it done... I think it makes them feel better... especially if it's affecting his lungs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• god bless your child....and yourself....stay strong
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2008