What would you throw out?

I got home and discovered that my fridge was open. My daughter had forgotten to close it when grabbing apples for the road. It was open about 4 inches for 3 hours. The items inside were still cooler than room temp which is 70. I'm not worried about fruits and veggies, just everything else, lol. What sorts of things would you toss?

cedailey

Asked by cedailey at 11:59 AM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Food & Drink

• anything that had gotten warmer than 40 degrees is no good. even if it looks safe, because not everything is going to visually look spoiled within a couple hours, it will still have bacteria growing all over it
    learae

Answer by learae at 9:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I might toss out the milk. I can't think of anything else I have in my frige that would worry me though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• anything that looks like it may have spoiled. smell and look at everything. if anything turned it would have an almost rancid or vinegary smell to it. milk and meat would be my biggest concerns.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Milk, meat, and yogurt would be the ones in my fridge I'd worry about.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i think it depends.. was it really hot in the house? check the milk,..if it taste spoiled dump it.. if it doesn't keep it. LOL
    Anonymous

• Milk, juice, eggs, butter and margarine, meats of course, keep an eye on whether cheeses go moldy, When in doubt, throw it out. I'd probably ditch everything, condiments and all rather than worry about it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If you had meat or eggs in there I would try to use them up that day or throw them out.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Thank you all. I went ahead and replaced all of the dairy, which wasn't much as we had run out of milk. I found out that eggs can be safely left out for 24 hours, so kept those. And the Mayo is gone. Nearly everything else is shelf stable and refridgerated for temp preference only, like apples and soda.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 11:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2008