Please read this. My 1 year old son has been sick the past 2 days, but only after he drinks milk?

What's going on? He's had milk for about 2 months now and it hasn't effected him. So, why is he suddenly throwing up after he drinks it? Is it possible to suddenly get latose intolerent or develop a milk allergy? And if so, what can I give him to supplement the milk? Thanks so much.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my mother has loactose intolerance so its all dairy that bothers her not just milk, is there any other dairy food that bothers him? have you tried a different brand, organic, not organic, low fat, no fat.? otherwise i would definatly call the doc for an appt.
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 12:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• we have used low fat and whole milk...we have never switched the brand. It's always the cheaper brand at walmart. No other dairy foods seem to bother him...he can still eat cheese and even ice cream.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My daughter-in-law thought she was lactose-intolerant (she always got a stomachache after milk, cheese, etc.) Then when she was pregnant she went for organic milk as a way to avoid the vitamin D in most milks. Hurrah no stomach-ache ! Turns out that she was reacting to some things IN the commercial milks. If it's organic milk or yogurt she has no problems. It might be worth it to get your son organic milk. And do make sure to give him yogurt-type food with ACTIVE cultures in them - just a couple spoonfuls a day. Another thought - did your son recently have to have antibiotics? ... Also, a young digestion can get thrown by too much sugar. Sugar (whether in cookies, 100% juice or in milk when it's called lactose) is irritating to the lining. So cut down sugar, and don't use NONFAT dairy because the cream is protective. Plus, for my dtr very COOKED cheese (like on pizza) is okay, even though she gets sick from cheese slices.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• You can develop an allergy to anything at any age.

Milk's not that good for you anyways. Take him off it for a few days and see if he improves. When he's better, try giving it to him again and see what happens. Most people don't tolerate milk well in one way or another. Try just giving him calcium rich foods instead.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My DD has a milk allergy, (Not lactose) When she eats anything with dairy she gets a tummy ache, the poopers, her faces turns red and her nose starts running. If she touches cheese she breaks out in hives. The best way to see if it is an allergy is to stop any dairy for a week (anything with milk) and then offer it to him again and see if the same thing happens.
    Cut out cheese, yogurt, cereal with milk, (whey) anything you add milk to the ingredients, check kids cookies, most labels now will say if it contains dairy in it but i would double check. HTH
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My sons threw up anything but skim milk. I never found out why. After a while they outgrew whatever was making them do that. Meanwhile try skim, or soy, or lactose free.

Answer by Bmat at 2:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It could just be a stomach bug.
    Anonymous

• Try different milks. I went through several formula types when she was born. Now theres no more formula for her so I had to find the next closest thing to it. Soy Milk, yuck but she loves it.
    Anonymous

• I used soy milk.
    cherbearr

Answer by cherbearr at 4:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I have gotten him some soy milk. It is staying down and he is much much happier! I'm going to stick with it until it's all gone and then go back to whole milk and see if it makes him sick again.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008