Stop smoking pot

My husband is trying to quit smoking. He has smoked daily for years. He's having a really tough time. He is very irritable and I'm worried that he's getting depressed. Does anyone know anything about quitting? Is cold turkey best, or should he go slowly?
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Health

• Marijuana wasn't my drug of choice, but a few things go across the board for quitting any addiction. The big one for most people I've talked to is replacing the hole left behind with something healthy but pleasurable, something he'll actually want to do in place of smoking. For me, working with clay really helped. Got me in a zone, took my mind off things, gave me a sense of accomplishment. Only he knows what his thing might be, but encourage to try something new- I'd never been crafty prior to that. it might be building models, fixing stuff around the house, cooking- who knows! cont...
    lianas_mom

Answer by lianas_mom at 3:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• And they say it's not addictive...

I think he should see his doctor about it honestly. Maybe they can see if there's some underlying condition causing him to act that way. If so they can suggest alternative treatments or meds.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• he should definitley wean himself off of it...just like any other addiction. I don't believe in cold turkey. I think it's unhealthy. Check with your doc, too. They have stuff that can help and he may need an anti-depressant for awhile until he has kicked the habit. GOOD LUCK!!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• No notion about marijuana. Just a bit of peripheral advice: he needs lots of vitamins to help his body deal with any de-tox. (Irritable = lack of b-vitamins and maybe calcium). Plus taking the concentrated/purified Omega 3 fish oil (and other similar oils from borage seed, etc.) would be a stellar idea to try to help him re-build his brain tissues ... Also, as a man he doesn't produce his own vit. C. Emergen-C would be a great way to get the C he needs for his brain and it also has a good amount of b-vitamins included - and we're talking 8 to 10 packets a day for a couple of days, then down to 3 or 4 if you want to take less (6 packets a day is optimal for health ...)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Marijuana is not physically adictive, but that doesn't mean you're husband is making it up. We can become psychologically addicted to anything; sex, gambling, shopping, anything. With pot, since there are no physical withdrawl symptoms, only mental, I think cutting back is the best course honestly. It would be like if we had to quit the internet. We would be irritable because a piece of our stress release has been taken away. Have him limit how much he has every day. If he usually smokes two bowls/joints a day, take it down to one, then half, then so many hits, then every other day, every three days, etc. I think going down a step once a week is nice and comfortable, if he's up to it then every 3-4 days.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The above poster is correct. There is no chemical addiction to pot. Only what your mind believes. Any behavior becomes addictive.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I also treated my body with something that felt a bit sinful now & then- like a big fat steak, or a gooey pastry when I felt the need for a guilty pleasure. Support from others who will listen, not judge, but also not give him the ok to smoke-nor crucify him if he slips will be so important. He needs to know people want him to quit, but won't freak on him if he slips- otherwise he'll hide it, distance himself & then you've got a huge disconnect which can lead to even worse drug use. Some people do get physically depressed when quitting anything, there is a lot of shame, hard work & mental introspection when you quit-realizing how it's hurt yourself & others - and on top of it all, the person's major release/coping mechanism/happy spot is gone. cont.
    lianas_mom

• Who wouldn't be depressed?! Anxiety is really common too, and if those are happening, he really ought to talk w/his dr. The straight truth is best, but if he just can't fess up, he can at least tell the dr. his symptoms & work from there. Benzo meds, like valium, klonopin etc are flirting with disaster though,a dn if his dr. isn't aware of the drug use he may prescribe those & then you've got an even bigger problem. There are plenty of non-addictive depression/anxiety meds he can use-choose wisely! And it may take a while to find the right one/dose. Vitamins, exercise, healthy diet will help his body purge & feel better but really, IMHO, the mental part is the hardest 99% of the time. Give him lots of love, understanding & support & remember to take care of yourself too!
    lianas_mom

Answer by lianas_mom at 3:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• weed actually causes depression. i know a lot of people who go from daily smoking to just on weekends or special occasions or quit all together.the longer they can go without it the the less they will miss it, at the beginning the just don't know what to do without their crutch. i think what they are craving most is getting a break from reality or daily stresses like bills,work, etc. getting off of anything will cause moodiness. i hope he can stop and good luck to you helping him with this.
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 3:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2008