Should we wait until we are married to buy a house?

My SO and I have recently started talking about buying a house. I was wondering if there are any tax breaks or anything you get as a married couple, or even if it would be easier getting a loan that way. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

lilbit837

Asked by lilbit837 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• We bought our first home before we got married. Now is a great time to buy if you have the money. Look for the best possible loan, preferably a no cost loan, they are available and thoroughly check out market prices and get the best deal. Sellers are negotiating, so you can bargain and haggle!
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 5:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My SO and I recently went though this. We even went as far as to get pre-approved for a home-loan (something you might want to look into - it is easier for someone to take you seriously if you already know how much you can spend, etc.) but in the end we decided that 30 years is a long time, it is a commitment we would rather not make unless married (we have been together going on 3 years now, and have known each other for 5....still decided to be married first)

It is, ultimately up to you, but I will say this - you should not look at getting married a business deal. "Can I get tax breaks if we're married." Shouldn't even be a factor when choosing to spend your life with someone. It should just be an extra.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2008