Do you see negative traits in your daughter that she inherited from you?

Sometimes I feel so guilty because I see myself in my 16 year old daughter. I see how she procrastinates doing things that aren't fun, studying, waiting till the last minute to go somewhere, where she is running out the door and forgetting things, watching too much TV, has a short-temper, etc. I feel so bad that these are traits that she most-likely learned from me and now I feel like it's going to be so hard for her to change. I try to tell her what is right, but she really doesn't listen to my advice (typical for a teenager I know). I feel like I failed her in so many ways as a mother. Don't get me wrong, she is a great girl, we've never had any problems with her, great student, involved in sports, great friends. I just feel like I really dropped the ball on the basics. Any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Aug. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• DD's only 4 and she has such a temper already. it's so sad. I'm trying to change now so that she'll grow out of it and learn some better behaviours
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2011

• my 18 yr old dd I have always called her my mini me
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• Her impatience! But, to be fair, I inherited it from my dad, who inherited it from his dad. It's actually kind of a family joke at this point.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• My 21 is just like me. Very independent easily disappointed in others. Wish she was more carefree and just enjoyed life more.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• My daughter gets more traits from her dad. really shy and modest. My son on the other hand is going to be a real treat when he hits the teenage years. He is pretty darn rowdy and is already talking back. ugh!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• Shopping
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 3:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• Oh yeah! My daughter is just like me. This is good in some ways and not good in others. Like the attitude, she's all me. It sucks arguing with yourself, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• I reunited with my son that I gave up for adoption when he was 18. Believe me, you'd be absolutely amazed how much of a persons personality traits are genetic. Not only that, are you a complete failure? If you are happy in your life with these "flaws" there's no reason your daughter wont be too. Relax mamma.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• Concentrate on her good points. And yours. Sounds like you've done a good job raising her.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2011