How do you get used to being a single parent?

How do you get used to being a happy family and then you are on your own and pregnant again? I have a 1 yr old son and am expecting a second. My fience just left me. How do single moms get used to that?

FoxyLady1313

Asked by FoxyLady1313 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• I became a single mom with ds....it's hard. You will adjust it just takes different times for different people. I'm sorry you are going thru this...merry Christmas and It gets better -I promise.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• get LOTS of support!! I had my family and my ex's family to help so that was a godsend!!! If you have no support like that, try to network and come up with reliable people who can help you with daycare. Join a group in your area so you can talk to other women (this also helps with the networking)

As for the relationship part...I cried every day until I was cried out. I was so scared and lonely. I know it sounds silly, but I found a TV program I liked and I would look forward to that...just to get my mind off my own life for awhile. It happened to be Sex and the City but this was in 2000 so it is not on HBO anymore but if you like it, they have the DVD'd on sale for xmas!! :)

Good luck mama
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I enjoyed it, financially it was tough, but I loved the fact that I didn't have anyone to "answer" to and I was in charge of everything. You may not realize it now, but it will make you a "kick-ass" woman..strong and independant. Trust me..I was a single mom for 8 years and last year became a wife..being a single mom gave me a hell of a voice and respect. Just remember to always put your kids first, and don't bring alot of "men" in and out their lives..they will appreciate later. Good Luck!
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I finally got use to it by the peace in my home & the solace of knowing that a negative influence was not around my son. This society forgets a thing or two these days. With kids women have long days as it is & with kids during the day, the days are to be about the kids. It is OKAY to be single for a while or a long while in the best interest of our kids if necessary. Society seems to preach the opposite. I also don't miss my exes bossy self absorbed stinking drunk ass. Oh he stayed around long enough to form a bond with my son & THEN walked off the dad watch. I WISH he had showed his true colors when my son was a baby !! Babies don't remember people they never meet, they also don't know pain if never inflicted. It should get better for ya Hun. Stay strong for your kids & yourself. If he could do this, just think about all the other negative things he could do.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• good answer sydsmom!! I should have mentioned that, too, that after the initial adjustment, I really came into my own as a single mom. I, too, did it for 8 years and just recently became pregnant with the man I plan to marry. I would say THAT has been a huge adjustment as I became very comfortable with my life and how I did things. It really IS nice not answering to anybody, girl. You will be fine. I promise!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm going through most of that now. I take it one day at a time, some days are better than others. I also set up a goal system for myself so I have things to look forward to instead of trying to dwell on the bad parts of being a single parent.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2008