30 weeks pregnant and still taking Benadryl like crazy

My OBGYN said it was okay to take Benadryl but I don't think she realizes how bad my allergies are. I'm at my moms a lot and she has this dog that I'm allergic 2 and mucho dust. I know what your thinking, I should probably stay away but I cant do that. At my house my allergies flare up but not as bad. I have no pets at my house.. I'm taking Benadryl every night and twice a day if I'm at my moms. I'm at my moms maybe 3 times a week so thats an overwhelming number of 20 Benadryl pills a week. Wow!, that scares me.... Has anyone dealt with this during pregnancy and how was their baby?

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 1:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My dr. says that benedryl is okay too. I take like 1 to 2 pills a night.
    Good luck to you:)
    22weeks
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I take one Benadryl every night to help me sleep. I'm 40 weeks and my baby and I are fine =] Benadryl is only harmful if taken WITH certain drugs (the drugs are rare, though, you can't just pick them up at the store).
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I have taken benadryl and tyenol pm ever since i knew i was prego...

they say those are safe!

my allergies are bad...too,
    but i have been having so many toothaches with this pregnancy i dont know why tyenol helps with that...sometimes!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 2:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• benedryl is totally okay to take as long as you are not taking OVER the recommended dosage you could also try claritin over the counter (loratadine) and you could talk to your doctor about zyrtec because I'm not sure if its safe while pregnant. I think it is but Im not positive. Those meds cater to more chronic allergy conditions and may be more effective for you causing you to use less benedryl but there is nothing wrong with taking it multiple times a day daily. You would be shocked at what is safe during pregnancy
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I am 30 weeks and have taken benedryl almost the entire time. My Dr. said it was safe and I have had the worst sinus issues since becoming pregnant.
    michelle1219

Answer by michelle1219 at 1:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2008