Miscarriage Questions

So, my friend just had a miscarriage at 10 weeks. She didn't really ask any questions at the hospital because she was in shock. Does anyone know if they will have to do a D&C or what will happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well, if she passed it completely on her own-then no, she won't need a D&C. But, if she retained any of it then they will have to do one. Was she seen in the ER and has she followed up with her doctor yet?
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I had a miscarriage before this pregnancy and I was about ten weeks and on the third day my body past the fetus I bleed for five more days after. My OBGYN told me if I don't pass the baby I will need a DNC. When I was bleeding I noticed the fetus the size of my pinky finger as i wiped. It looks like liver.
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 2:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Normally anything before 12 weeks can pass on it;s own. I had an ultrasound a couple weeks after each of my miscarriages to make sure everything had passed. D&C carries the same risks as abortion in possibly scarring the uterus. I have tried to avoid them at all costs when I could safely. My condolences to your friend
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I was around 12-14 weeks, give or take,
    they did have to give me a d&c i got prego with this little one...around 2 months later,

it wouldnt come out....the baby stopped growing around 8-9 weeks
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 2:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I started miscarrying june 8th and it didnt expel til June 15th. But I did spot ALOT before that. I would have her ask her doctor about it. Honestly I would wait a week or two. If she doesnt notice a plum size clot come out then I would have her call and make a appointment.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Chances are she will pass everything naturally, but if she goes through a pad an hour, or the bleeding goes on for more then a week I could call and have an ultrasound done to see if she needs one. But both of mine were done naturally. I am very sorry for her loss.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 3:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• ive had 2 miscarriages both at 4 weeks and i jus let mine pass while on my period..it was hard for me to flush the toielt knowing those blood clots could been my child and i wouldnt flush the toielt my hubby had to it was the worse pain and hurt ive ever experinced n my life n i wouldnt want nobody to go through losing a child..my heart goes out to everyone that has
    Brinkleysmommy1

Answer by Brinkleysmommy1 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2008