Would you make your dd give back a gift she recieved from her boyfriend?

My 16 yo dd recieved a 1/3 carat diamond pendant from her boyfriend. She has been dating this boy only for 7 months. My dh feels that she recieved a gift that is inappropriate and feels that she should return the gift. I feel that like I am between a rock and a hard place. I honestly really think that my dh should leave it alone and stop going on about it. So ladies what is your take on this. Would you make your dd return the gift????

my4kids274

Asked by my4kids274 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• No I wouldnt. In fact thatd be kinda rude on her part to do that. Christmas gifts are given and bought because someone thought about you and cares about you. Obviously he must care alot to buy her a nice gift like that. Tell her to be gracious and thankful. Its a good life lesson you can show her by doing that. My dd was alot the same way at 16 and they tend to go on and on I think its the age & drama that never ends.

Answer by gemgem at 2:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I wouldn't make her return it. It would be humiliating for both of them.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• absolutely not!! I think that is an appropriate age for a gift like that. If her bf likes her enough to spend the money, then GREAT!! Taking it away will hurt her feelings TREMENDOUSLY and make her resent you! Trust me, my parents interfered in my relationships and I snuck around behind their backs because of it. Please don't start that cycle...you will SOOOOO regret it
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Just let her hang on to it for awhile if things don't work out she can pawn it. Just tell you dh she gave it back so he can stay off ya'll's back.
    Anonymous

• Ladies thank you. I agree with each and everyone of your answers. I was just looking for some reassurance that my feelings were shared by other mom's out there. I am going to show the answers to this question to my dh.
    my4kids274

Answer by my4kids274 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• No! but ask her what it neans and if the 'm' word comes up make her wait 4 years.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• nio i won't make her give it back they may have a good relationship and are thinking of marriage and he wants to show her how much her cares for her
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• No I wouldn't make her give it back. That would only hurt both of thier feelings
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 3:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• it's not like it was a ring... tell him to back off
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Its fine, You don't ruin Special Important Events in a Kids Life.... Its nice a young man showed her such nice Kindness, she should always hope for that........... You can really Tramatize a Girl at this age.......... (plus the kid probablly couldn't even take it back...)....... Let her enjoy life.... Maybe your jerk Husband should go get YOU ONE. (Men are Idiots Mothers have to Guide).
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2008