Yule

What is it about? I'm clueless! I know that it has to do with the winter solstice but i don't even know what that is either. Don't call me stupid please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Holidays

• Here check this out:

http://www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/yule.htm
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• To put it simply- Its the welcoming of the sun- inviting the sun back into our lives on the shortest day of the year. Celebrating the birth of new life with the coming of the sun and longer days. Its a very ancient holiday, practiced long before christmas. Many christmas traditions are taken from Winter Solstice celebrations.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The winter soltice is simply the first day of winter. It's the day with the longest night and shortest daytime of the entire year.

Yule is a celebration of the solstice. It is the day when the Old sun king (Sun God) dies and is reborn.

Trees were decorated at this time because the Druids believed that the gods resided in evergreens (because they never die in the winter) and they would decorate the trees with symbols of wises for the comming year.

A yule log is burned in the fireplace after being decorated with symbols of wishes for the comming year. (We can't do this because we don't have a fireplace).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Answer by gemgem at 2:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• thanks! i'm not so confused anymore- and thanks for not bashing me.
    Anonymous

• Check out my journal I just posted about The Holly King.
    RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2008