When is a good time to give up paci's?

My daughter is amost 16 months old. I am due January 5th with a baby boy. Right now my daughter only gets her paci for nap time, bed time, and when we are in the car. My plan was to give up all her paci's to Santa for christmas. BUT i know that the new baby is going to be another huge adjustment on her and that shes going to have a very hard time with it. SO anyadvice would be greatly appricaited!

mommyangel2008

Asked by mommyangel2008 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• asap!!
    my son never took to one, but my daugher did, but at about 3 months i took it away and let her use her finger to pacify herself
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 2:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• well since she is taking them now, i'd wait until after your LO is born, cuz that is a big adjustment. my son is 21 months and still has one, but ONLY for when he goes to sleep. not even in the car. I was going to take him off of it when he was 16 months or so, but i also had a little one when he was 16 months, and i decided to let him keep it for a little while longer. i think the latest time kids should have their binky is the age of 2. GL with your decision
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I had read to give them as much as the baby would take them for the first 3 months, and then the baby would spit it out and never suck fingers even. So this is what I did, and it worked for both children.

Answer by Bmat at 2:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Whatever works best for you.....My daughter is 17 months and she only uses it in her crib so I don't see any problem in taking it away anytime soon....I am expecting another one in May but I don't really care if she has it then either. It's only for nap time. I'd rather have her use that than her fingers which she could get attached to for life. My father sucked his thumb till he was pretty old and his thumb is sooooooooooooo gross now due to sucking this thumb!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I daughter bit a hole in hers at 5mths and never saw it again. She was find one less thing to break her from. Take it away now and get her a gift in place for being a big girl. The Santa idea was great.
    Anonymous

• My daughter only used her's for nighttime and naptime and we took it away at 2 1/2 she moved from her paci to her first finger. My younger daughter always took her thumb nothing else.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Since your so close to your due date, I would wait until after he's born to take her binky away. Having a new baby is going to be a big adjustment for her. My daughter was the same age when I had my son and it was rough for awhile so I didn't want to be make it rougher by taking away a comfort item. I finally took her binky away in i wanna say Sept and she just turned 2 in November. Good luck!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would get rid of it NOW. It's going to be all that much harder to get her to give it up later if the baby has one....and could be a trigger for jealousy (baby gets one and mommy took mine) Our pediatrician recommended to us that we get rid of #2's pacifier (and anything else baby) before the baby was born...the more time the better.

That said....we took the pacifier from our oldest at 13 months, number 2 at 10 months (good thing, too...baby was born 4 weeks early!!) and number 3 at 4 months. (he had a weak suck and couldn't keep it in his mouth himself)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2008