How do I go about giving plasma?

I would like to give plasma so I can get some extra cash to put towrads things that need to be paid off. But I have no idea how to go about doing it and how you actually do it. And what kind of stuff do they look into... like your iron levels... blood type things like that. Anyone whos ever done it have any information?

dtetz

Asked by dtetz at 2:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Health

• I used to give plasma every Saturday. Go to a blood bank. Tell them you would like to donate plasma. They have you fill out a form and then test your iron levels. If everything checks out they hook you up to a machine. The machine takes your blood, takes the plasma out, and then puts the blood back into you.

I suggest drinking a lot of water the night before so you're not dehydrated. Take suppliments so your iron levels are good.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I believe you have to be at least 110 pounds. They will check your iron levels there. Make sure you eat a large meal with lots of protein about 3 hours before you go in and your iron levels should be fine. Your blood type does not matter. You need to be able to provide an ss card, drivers license and proof of address. You can do this at United Blood Services. I have never donated plasma, but I have donated blood and I believe the rules and regulations are the same for both.
    Anonymous

• You can not donate plasma if you have tattoos less than a year old. you also can (not ever) donate plasma if you were born or lived in parts of Europe, I know of Germany and Austria for sure. They also test for HIV and AIDS.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 1:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2008