Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Can I use my EBT card (food assistance) out of state?

I live in Washington and was just approved for food assistance and will be receiving an EBT card. I will be going out of town for week, to Oregon, to visit my grandparents. Will I be able to use my EBT card for things I'll need for my DD (18 months) while I'm there?

Answer Question

Asked by JoyfulSurprise at 1:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 4 (28 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • yes. you can use it nation wide. I am 100% certain of this.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 1:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

  • yes you can. i work at a stop and shop, i've seen ebt cards from many different states come through my line

    Answer by momofone725 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

  • I have no clue, but that is a good question.

    Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

  • NO it will not work out of state. If you have to have your own food on your trip, then pack things. How are you on FS and able to afford a trip? Hmmm...

    Answer by surfgrl60 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

  • I just moved to a different state. I had FS in my old state they said only in THAT state.

    Answer by surfgrl60 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

  • You can not continue to receive stamps if you move to a new state. You can use your card out of state. It should say that somewhere in you information they sent you with the card. I just got back form a trip to another state with my DH family that MY IN-LAWS PAID FOR OUT GAS AND HOTEL and we used our card for our part of the food the entire time.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 2:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

  • surfgrl i was at work tonight, again i work at stop and shop, most ebt cards don't slide so i have to type them in manually, i had one from new york and one from Louisiana tonight that were used successfully. i'm in connecticut btw, yes i know that you CAN use them out of state

    Answer by momofone725 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

  • Yes you can use it. Its only an issue when its used more in another state than in the state you live in.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

  • You can always call the customer service number on your EBT card and/or your caseworker to concours this. Also, why bother judging someone taking a vacation to see their parents who receives benefits? I take a vacation with my daughter to Virginia from New Hampshire every month to visit my mother - I receive benefits - and my mother pays for our trip. Being kind to other people isn't a hard thing to do.

    Answer by Norahb6672 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 18, 2017

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Follow up

Next question overall (Relationships)
How do you know that its over?