Can you pay less then asked?

My b/f recently had to stay in the hospital over night and it cost a lot. About 1,200 Well I called to set up payment plans thinking that $25 a month would be okay well they said the lowest they'd take is $84? As long as we are sending money in every month do you think they will send it to a collection agency even though we are not doing the full $84? This month we sent $40

dtetz

Asked by dtetz at 2:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• Im not sure but I am thinking that the hospital cant take any action against you if you are paying what you can. I would just keep doing what u r doing..they should be happy that they are getting that much from you. hospitals charge too much anyways...my husband had out patient surgery 2 weeks ago and the hospital is already wanting their 12 grand. My husband is the main income we have and hes not working...you would think the hosptial would get a clue.
    Momof3Squirts

Answer by Momof3Squirts at 3:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I send in what I can. I had an outstanding bill and the creditor was calling telling me the same thing. Everytime they called I gave them what I could $25-$50 at a time. Finally it got down to less then $500 and they called and offered to settle the bill for $160. You can also contact one of the non profit credit counselors and they can usually do better then we can on our own on payments and getting things like interest etc knocked down.

Answer by gemgem at 2:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i was once told as long as you send in any payment the same time and amount every month if they decline it they have nullified your bill. just what was once told to me from someone that worked in a bank/collections for a long time.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 2:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• They can tell you the minimum they will accept. They are allowed to do that, but I would just send in what you can and more than likely nothing else will come of it.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 3:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'd always heard that if you are making an effort, they are not going to send it to colletions. Send what you can.
    Anonymous