My son sucks on his arms-not thumbs or fingers-right above the wrists!

Has anyone had a LO that sucks their arms? No one I know has. I don't know what to do. He is 2 and 1/2. He had a paci and at 12 months we took it from him. We thought that he adjusted well. He didn't cry. Then, one day, I noticed that his arms were red. And, sure enough, he sucks on them-bad. The skin is starting to look rough and hard. I am affraid that it will leave scars. If he wears short sleeves he looks like he's been hurt. We have tried everything. We rubbed all sorts of-well, everything on them to get him to stop. Any suggestions?? His doctor said-you took his paci away too soon, yeah, duh! Oh, and he doesn't want his paci back-her prefers the arms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My granddaughter is 5 and still does this. Especially during times of tension. Her parents gently and without comment pull her arm away when they are nearby, but they assume she'll eventually grow out of it.

Answer by Bmat at 2:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2008