I have stopped breast feeding after doing it for 1 year and a couple of months. I have been told that I need a pill to dry up my milk. What pills are they?Is it necessary to take the pills?Where do I get the pills?Thank you!

I do want another baby, but we are not getting pregnant until next year. Would that make a difference with me taking the pills. Is there a need for them because we are going to get pregnant again?

MZeni

Asked by MZeni at 10:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You do not need a pill for your milk to dry up. Your milk supply is based on supply and demand. Once you have completely weaned it will disappear on its own. It might be uncomfortable at first b/c you will get full, but give it time and it will slowly lessen until it is gone.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I have never heard of that. I BF for 11 months and never had to take pills to dry up my milk. It is painful because you get very engorged, but after a few days it goes away.
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 10:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You don't need a pill, you'll stop lactating on your own if you're not nursing anymore. It may be painful for a few days because you'll be engorged, put ice packs on your breasts and take Motrin for pain. In less than a week, your milk supply will decrease and dry up.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You don't need a pill. It is painful when you stop and your breasts will get rock hard for a few days. Try cabbage leaves (yes, cabbage leaves!) in your bra. It will help with both the discomfort and the engorgement. Also, be sure to not express any milk. While it will help short term, it will just prolong the process
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Way back there was a pill, but it was pulled for problems. My mom had it in the 70s. There is noting but time these days. It should take about 3 days of pain/soreness and then it gets better. Just don't feed or pump to put them in the hot shower for long.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I don't know who told you need a pill, but I doubt it was your doctor. Like everybody else said, once you stop, your breasts will still get hard and very tender for a few days, but as long as you don't express the milk, (Some of it's going to come out anyway) it will dry up on it's own. Just make sure you are really ready to stop, because once you stop and the milk stops, you can't go back to doing it again with this baby. (If you get pregnant again, obviously you will be able to breast feed again.)
    tazzeetwins

Answer by tazzeetwins at 12:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• The pill has been linked to breast cancer that's why it was pulled. Cabbage leaves and cold compresses, sports bras and NO stimulation will help your milk dry up, but you will likely get your period back, if you haven't already. I suggest a form of BC so you don't get that next baby before you're ready! =)
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I just stopped nursing after almost 2 years of doing so. It's been about 3-4 weeks now and still a little milk will leak from time to time. It lasts awhile, but it will eventually go away completely without any pills.
    taterandmater

Answer by taterandmater at 1:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I breast fed all 3 of my kids and I never heard of a pill...it will go away on it's own, once you have completely stopped feeding.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I never needed a pill, I just started breast feeding less (because of school) and it stopped coming in.
    rileysmommy811

Answer by rileysmommy811 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2008