Both my children are lacking on daily activities and being lazy, what to do?

DS 10 and DD 7 are both "forgetting" to follow rules and just pick up after themselves. For example, they are supposed to ask us if they can get on the computer and lately we are just finding them getting on without asking. Also, I find socks and shoes on the living room floor, daddy doesn't like that and would rather them put the socks in the dirty clothes and shoes in there rooms. Another thing is picking up there messes after they eat, if we are doing a simple lunch, I will find there plates around the living room or left at the kitchen bar. We have even seen some of there friends over and they pick up after themselves, but our children seem to forget. Daddy has come down on them pretty hard and told them that they cannot play with friends until we see a change in their behavior and responsibilites. I agree with him somewhat..it is the last week of summer break for them, but they also need to step it up alot with things. My DD is also having a major attitude problem and just being bitchy at her brother, me and even daddy. I put her in her room most of the day yesterday becaue of her attitude, and she is better today. But really, what will work for dicipline at these ages?

Sati5

Asked by Sati5 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Take away things they like, The tv, playstations, computer etc. Ive taken away my kids nikes before and made him wear his play shoes to school that hurt him worse then taking his ipod lol
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• My girls know not to get on the computer till their rooms are clean. Plus they need to have rooms cleaned or no snack so I usually find clean room after dinner. You can take away their things are fun things to do but they seem to do it anywas. I would just try to make a chore chart and let them know what chores they do have to do. I even move up bedtimes when they are not good so they try to be good so can stay up longer. Just make a chore chart and let me know what needs to done and if not what they would lose if not done. Just remember school is on the horizon.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• You need to find something that they really like and use that as motivation for them to clean up after themselves. Make life more difficult for them at home when they don't help out around the house. Where is the computer? I would recommend removing the keyboard and mouse and if they want to get on the computer they have to ask you for the keyboard and mouse and once time is up remove the keyboard and mouse and lock it away.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• I would take away the things that are causing the problems. Summer is such a relaxed time...I have just let me kids chill out myself. Stay consistent by not allowing the to play games or whatever until they take care of their priorities...bathing, picking up..doing chores...then they can play. I would also start making them hit the hay on time to begin getting them on a schedule again.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 6:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2011

• Take priveleges away from them when they aren't doing what is requested of them. Do your chores, then you get the 'fun stuff' and playing with friends, etc.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2011