how do u know?

when ur kids make new friends at school and want to go home with them how do know its safe?? i understand u can talk to the mom on the phone but u sometimes dont really know the person. i dont want my kids around cigarettes. how do i know they wont smoke around my kids even if i tell them not to? how do i know they wont have people over that might harm my kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• i would never let my kid go home with another friend unless we had a play date first and i was there for it and had time to talk to the mom and get to know her and the family
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 3:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• my dd does not spend the night ANWHERE but at her bff's house and I know the parents well.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• umm u don't know you need to meet the parents not talk on the phone and go see how they live and stuff like that
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I wouldn't let my kids go over someone's house unless I knew the parent personally. My son is always asking to go over the neighbor's houses but I don't know them well yet.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Get to know the parents? Arrange to go over with your child the first time they go over.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 3:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• You really don't know those things...at least not until you've really gotten to know the parents. Set up a few playdates where you guys can sit with the kids together and get to know each other. Then you can decide from there.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would set up a few play dates first... and invite the child to come over to our house first... if the parents are willing. You'll probably learn a lot by watching the child.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 3:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• how old are your children ? I think that makes a difference. If it's a 16 year old boy you obviously arent going to set up a play date - but you should still go make small talk and meet the parents. If they are younger, you should not just send your child home with someone you have never met.
    Anonymous

• Really get to know the parents. If you still don't feel comfortable have your child have the friend over to your house. I'm sure the childs parents wont have any complaints about their child being out of the house for a while. Your right to be concerned. With all we see and hear on the news and in the papers it's hard to know who we can trust with our children anymore.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The rule in our house is they are not allowed to go play at anyones house until I have been to the house and spent time getting to know the parents.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2008