what are some good toys for 8yr boy with a.d.h.d?

aprilkay625

Asked by aprilkay625 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The same toys you would get a child that doesn't have ADHD. ADHD makes kids a little more hyper, a little more unfocused than other kids, but it doesn't change what they like to play with. My kids both have ADHD, and they enjoy all the same toys, movies, clothes, cartoons, etc. that any other kid enjoys. Just find out what he's interested in, and buy something that lines up with that. If you really aren't sure, gift cards work, too. About the only thing I can really think to suggest is to avoid anything that would be really annoying, b/c otherwise mom (unless you're mom) will hate you when the only time her kid focuses is when he plays with the annoying toy. lol :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Does he like jigsaw puzzles? They may take some patience, but if you buy ones designed for kids a little younger (maybe 6+), it could help him develop some persistence and have a sense of accomplishment. I'm sort of a geek about educational toys!

Make-believe toys are also great: a set of cowboys and horses and cattle, with little fences and a barn maybe? Or a Lego building set? Toys where the child makes up all the games are best, in my opinion!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 7:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• legos are great, they really keep them busy!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Simon says or that other new one where they have to chase and find it. THey are active games that will also help with the wait and listen but also keep the body active.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I second the legos... m son is also into Neo Shifters. Really, anything that takes some building.
    LanieBug707

Answer by LanieBug707 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I found the best toys for a boy with add/adhd are those they build. Whether they were toy models, planes, or legos. I found that those he had to put together and then paint worked best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2008