My 3 month old needs open heart surgery

When my daughter was born they said she had a heart murmor, but that it didnt look liek nethin serious and it would go away in time. being worried i decided to make an appt to a cardiologist, turns out she needs open heart surgery, she has Tetrology of fallot, and Ventricular Septal Defect. Iam goin through alot right now and no matter how much i try I cant help but to worry and its constantly on my mind everytime i hold her i just worry about never seeing her again after the surgery you know, i know that its a big deal, its been so hard to see your daughter thats only 3 months old getting pocked and prodded,we go to the doctor twice a month to make sure shes doing alright, tehy said she needed surgery on jaunuary but turns out at our last appt they discovered shes stable and theyre pushing back surgery to when she is 7 months, iam really scared, and i just can even explain how i feel inside.

DiandraBryant07

Asked by DiandraBryant07 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am very sorry for what you are going through. My cousin's son had to have surgery when he was only 3 months old, and it was very hard on them. Their son just had his first birthday though, and is doing great. Make sure to really check out the doctors that will be performing the surgery. That will make you feel better, especially if you find out they have done it before. Good luck to you, and I hope everything works out!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i am so sorry to hear about what your goin thorw i could not imagin havein to go throw that. i am sure everything will go good durning the surgery its crazy the things they can do now a days. i will keep you in my thoughts. good luck
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• *hugs* I wish you and your baby the very best. I'm sorry she's having so much trouble with her heart. But at least they're able to push back the surgery which means it's not as bad as they first thought.

*hugs* again
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I am so sorry for what u are going through. No mom should have to go throught that. My son needed surgery on his spine, and had it at 22 days old.... good luck and you and your baby will be in my prayers
    Anonymous

• I don't know if this helps you or not but I recommend you pray. In my church we had a very young infant with very special needs placed with one of the foster families. At three months old they couldnt wait out open heart surgey any longer but because of her other issues she was only given a 10% survival rating. It was a very tough decision to make and since the parental right had been terminated it was up to the foster mom and social worker to make that decision. As a church we prayed together for an answer and it was obvious. 10% was a better chance than she had without it. They did the surgery and she is now a very happy and very healthy 2 year old that melts the heart of anyone who sets eyes on her. I know God answers prayer and with a special needs infant of my own it is the only thing I can do to keep from going crazy
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• angel mini God did not make your baby sick, but He can give you strength to get through this. I hope 2009 brings healthy news.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• thanks guys for the support. is there any1 that has had theyre child or knows of anyone going through this?
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Oh YIPES! I know a little bit of how you feel. My daughter had a VSD too but that was all. I was on pins and needles for most of her first year, waiting to see if it would close on it's own or if she would need surgery. While her VSD has gotten smaller, it hasn't closed and her cardiologist says it may never close completely on its own. We are lucky that hers is so small and not close to any of her valves. She won't need surgery and has actually been discharged from his care. I was so happy that day that I cried most of the way home.

I hope this next year brings good news for you too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• thankyou for your help and advice and for praying for her. i believe in prayer so thankyou! merry christmas to everybody and god bless.
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I had Ventricular Septal Defect, 3 holes in my heart and 2 poorly functioning valves. I had open heart surgery in 1981 at Shands in Gainesville Fl.... I was 9 months old and weighed only 11.5 lbs ( I was 8lbs 13 oz @ birth).... . Now, I am 28 and have 4 children of my own.. I know ur scared but I hope u find a little comfort in my story. Keep ur head up, Pray to the good Lord above and I'll be doing the same for ur little one. God Bless. xo
    Presley

Answer by Presley at 10:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009