Urgh!

So my parents would like to take my 4 month old daughter for a week. I am not too happy about the idea of being away from my daughter for that long but they just won't take no for an answer. Anyone have any suggestions to get them to understand why I don't want them to take her? AND they want me to meet them half way (which is like 3 hours from here) to pick her up.

anglgrl03

Asked by anglgrl03 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just tell them no. She is your child and they will just have to deal with your decisions. I know that sounds mean but that's the way it is. I have pushy in-laws who try the same crap. Just stand your ground if you aren't comfortable letting her go for that long.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Tell them you are not ready for the overnight yet, and until you are she will be staying with you. If they get mad so be it. I had to do it too.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would put it bluntly. I dont feel comfortable being away from my daughter for a whole week. I'll meet you halfway and allow you to see her for a while. I cant even stand to be away from my 4 month old for 4 hours. My parents are very pushy and I just have to stay strong.
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 4:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• That is a stupid idea.

Have they never questined why the basic nature of nursing a baby works the way it does?

Babies are not supposed to leave their mother for any extended periods of time (ie - 2-3 hours tops) - they are naturally breastfed - meaning they need their mother there (whether you breastfeed or not now, it makes no difference) - through day and night.

Say no, and frankly I would tell them that they are over-stepping their boundaries, and need to back off.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would tell them that its too far if something happens to your child for you to get to her quickly and that makes you uncomfortable and when she gets older than it will be easier for you. Have they ever watched her before or do they know what she likes? Watching a little beby is hard enough for a few hours but for a week when she is four months old and has a routine i think would be a diaster if she doesnt know the surroundings she probably wont have the comfort she will at home. Or you could just say no shes too young and thats that lol then they cant do anything about it.
    eruss

Answer by eruss at 4:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Just say no. They are old enough to take no for answer. You are the mother.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Tell them you would like to wait until she was a little older, that the drive itself is stressful to you and your little one. That you just aren't ready to be away from her that long. You can soften it up by inviting them to come stay with you for a week if you could manage that. That way they will know they are still welcome to spend time with your baby, but your just not up for their invite just yet. Or you can try to reschedule something so you and the baby can take a trip down to visit in another few months. (work is always a good excuse as well)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• this could be the begining or the end of a power struggle in regards to your children, put your foot down now when it is easier than after they have gotten used to pushing you around, they are your parents but you are a parent now too and can stand up tp them without being disresepctful.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Yeah I'd say no, or you could both go. My son is the same age and he isn't staying anywhere overnight, especially for a week. I breastfeed and I could send pumped milk if I wanted...but thats not even the issue. He needs me and doesn't like to be away from me to long. It's not fair to the child to take them away from their momma, even for a day. Even when his dad has him, he's looking around for me after a few minutes. Plus family or not...I worry about SIDS and shaken baby syndrome...They can come visit you at your house and stay a couple days.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I don't disagree with the previous posters...however if your situation is like mine, its easier said then done to just say no. We live with my parents and ever since we moved in, my in laws have been upset and I regularly hear that it isn't fair, that I must not like them, that I play favorites and my family gets to see her more often etc. So they want her to frequently spend the night. The bad part about my situation is that my hubby takes their side and says I am too attached to the baby etc.

I don't know if you are working or not but is it an option for you AND the baby to go visit them? Or for them to come and stay at your house? That way they still get to spend time with their grandchild and you don't have to be seperated.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009