How do I deal with a mean mother in law who is always cutting me down?

It's about to be Christmas and having a family get together as we do every year - should I go or not. After her 1000 time of cutting me and my children down in my own home --- I through her out of the house. She then went and told everyone in the family that I hit her.

beckyamc

Asked by beckyamc at 4:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• I would stay away. My MIL is a bitter mean lady and so I just stay away! I don't like to surround myself around people like that.
    Anonymous

• Wow, sounds like your having it rough. Well lets see, if it were me personally....I would confront her in front of my husband (since it is his mother), that way he has no doubt whether or not it happened. That is of course if he does question it. It could blow up though. Or you could pull her aside with your hubby present and explain to her you dont appreciate her behavior and if she cannot stop she is no longer welcome in your home or to see that kids since she does it to them as well. Hopefully your hubby is on the same page as you. Good luck hun!
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Me & the kids would be staying home or at least avoiding her.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If my MIL was like that I would have done the same. I wouldn't attend her party though, instead, I would have a party at your house, invite her under the condition that you will apologize for kicking her out, but she MUST not talk down to your children or you and that she MUST respect you and your wishes in your home.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Grandma got run over by the raindeers....... la la la

I say stay away from her.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would tell her flat out to shut up and if she can't ay anything nice then she is no longer welcome in your home or around her grandkids and your husband needs to back you up.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• try this response, the very next time she has something nasty to say...."Oh, I'm sorry, but no one is as perfect as you."
    Anonymous

• Don't give her the time of day. Just focus on your DH and make sure he knows exactly what happened. Then explain to him the importance of supporting you and sticking up for you when it comes to his mother. The best solution to a MIL problem is being a team with your husband when it comes to dealing with her crap. You did good though, don't back down.

... there are a few MIL groups here on cafemom too :)
    Anonymous

• My husband & I cut off all contact. He didn't write her from Iraq when he was deployed, we didn't call to say I was pregnant or when our son was born & she's never seen him. I quit sending cards & photos. I watch over my shoulder in public, have a cameras on my porches & never let mail sit in my mailbox for too long. She's just plum crazy! After trying to be nice, then explaining our feelings, then telling her off it's come down to this.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would stay away and avoid any more conflict.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008