When should you start nursery school or preschool.?

khayleyb

Asked by khayleyb at 4:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont think"should" is the proper word. everyone situation is different, im a sahm, so i didnt NEED to have my kids in preshcool but i started my son at 3.5 to give my daugher who was 1 year younger time alone with me and so he could start learning and making friends. I started my dd at 3.5 too so she would make friends and it gave me 2 days to myself
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 5:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• like she said, should is not the right word.

but i started mine at 18m.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It all depends on your child, i know everything is "when your child is ready" but if your child is not ready for nursery / preschool it could be a bad experience instead of an enjoyable one like it should be. Some children jump right in and love it and others need some adjusments.
    sheismyangel

Answer by sheismyangel at 7:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Pre-K starts in my town when they are 3yrs old. My 2 1/2 yr old daughter can't wait to go to school (she hasn't figured out that once you start there's no stopping LOL!) and ride the bus (she doesn't know that she will NOT be riding the bus yet). She loves to read, learn, and meet new people, so she's ready for school. My 2 yr old doesn't know what school is, could care less about meeting new people, but she does love to learn things. They will both be 3 by the time school starts next year, so they will both be going. It's not a requirement that they go, but in our town, if they don't go to pre-k they seem to be behind when they enter Kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• I own a preschool and I think 3 years old is the earliest a child should go.

Babies and toddlers need time with their Mommies. And really around 3 is when they start to become social. Most kids still engage in parallel play but they do well in group settings.
    We have had a 2 1/2 year old and the 6 months really makes a difference! It is tough for a 2 1/2 year old to participate in normal preschool activities... like circle time. They (generally speaking) don't have the attention span or interest that comes around 3.
    Language development is also really important as well as self help skills. While these are the main purpose of preschool, just as with any skill a child has to be ready to "learn" them.
    LanieBug707

Answer by LanieBug707 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2008