What to put in stockings?!

Ok a different question just remembered me on that.
We have 3 stockings hanging up (for hubby, me and our daughter, 17months old).

Im german, i dont really know much about this stocking stuff. Never did that. I already have x-mas gifts for my hubby and we also already have tons of gifts for our daughter.

What do you put in stockings? Only chocolate or toys/gifts? Because i will put all the gifts under the tree.

And how do you do that with the stockings. WHEN do you let your family open them?!

Seems like a stupid question, but x-mas in germany usually doesnt include stockings :)
Since my hubby is american i want to try to do a little american x-mas for him as well. u know ;)

Thanks for help and advice.

m.robertson811

Asked by m.robertson811 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• How about:

A watch
    Jewelry
    Little Toy
    Hair things
    Make-up

etc.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 7:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Our stockings are the first things that we open in the morning. In my hubby's I usually put scratch off lotery tickets in it. But for the kids we put small items that would otherwise get lost under the tree. Such as toothbrushes, small pocket toys etc......
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 4:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I put lots of small things in the stockings, just for fun. I pick up liquid soap, travel sizes of toothpaste and mouthwash, toothbrushes, combs, for the children tiny cars, bubbles, little packs of tissues, little note pads, pens, and also I'll include envelopes with money.

Answer by Bmat at 4:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I usually put fruit, like oranges, bananas, toothbrushes, lipgloss, yo-yo's,matchbook cars, and there favorite candy sometimes I even throw in some cash. My families stocking usually remain empty until Christmas morning, adn they are usually hung on the fireplace mantel on window sill if you don't have a mantel
    combster

Answer by combster at 5:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Oh wow.. so many nice stuff :)

I have so many gifts for our daughter. amongst all those gifts (small and big ones) i have a flash light (babys first flash light or what its called) for her. i think i could put this in the stocking, right? and a chocolate santa claus.

since i ordered my hubbys favorite food ever from the states i think i will put this in his stocking.. (beef jerky!)... the stocking for me ill probably use for my sister in law. she will be here on christmas eve (thats when we give and get the gifts). my brother wont be home for x-mas so i think i make her a stocking. some chocolate, soap, make-up applicators and maybe ill get her some lotion.

i think the stocking thing is a cute and great idea. and now i finally know how that all works ;)))

thank you so much guys
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Little things...candies....little toys...crayons.....hair ties...for dd...

Hubs dont get a stocking...he grew up outta that ....lol
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• For my son I put some hot wheel cars, candy, fruit and nuts, and a few other small toys. My daughter's has a barbie, some barbie clothes, candy, fruit and nuts, and a few other small toys.

When I lived with my mom, she always put some kind of jewelry in mine. I still have one of those baby bracelets that I got for my first Christmas. She let me open it, then when I pit it down to play with something else, she got it and put it up. When I had my little girl she brought it to the hospital to give to me, along with pics she took of me with it when I was little. It was really sweet b/c I didn't even klnow about it. It was a nice surprise. Last year I re-wrapped it for my daughter, took pics, then put it away and I will keep the tradition going.

You can open stockings any-time. My friend always does stockings Christmas Eve. We do ours after we unwrap the other presents.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• We always let the kids open their stockings first while we are getting our coffee. Gives them something to do before the big stuff!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 6:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Santa fills stockings at our house and I (I mean he) puts small fun toys like yo-yo, slinky, purse size lotions & perfume, lip gloss, note pads, address book, earrings, matchbox cars, cd, pencils, candy
    Anonymous