Is any one else's husband laid off of a job that he has had FOREVER!!?? I would really like to hear from those of you who are being affected by this economy!

I cannot believe how much this ecomony has affected our family and so many others. I myself NEVER pay attention to these types of things. I am not into the economy or politics!! But I have to say that it has really affected alot. My husband has been at his job for six years and never has been laid off! Now all of a sudden he gets laid off and isn't working but MAYBE 1 or 2 days a week. We have so much to take care of and it is beyond stressful! We live so far away from our family and it is hard to ask for help. It difficult to think about.. one day you think that everything is going well and things are on track, but I guess that is what life is. Now we are stuggling to pay our bills and just trying to keep our heads up for our two children. They are young so they don't understand but it is difficult right now. Those of us who though that we would never be in this positon are now. Things are bad in this country.

mommy4or2

Asked by mommy4or2 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• Honey, my hubby has been out of work since august, he was at his job for 15 years and made very good money. I know where you are coming from, unemployment is 326.00 a week less than half of what he did make, we have a house payment, car, insurance, lights, food you name it. I work 3 parttime jobs and go to school full time to help out with the bills. We have 3 children. Unemployment is broke, it has enough money for two more weeks...I dont know what will happen next. I just do what I can and pay what I can when I can. I do not worry about things I cant change, I know sometimes its hard but with things the way they are, everything is closing down all around us, and we cant move until I am finished with school...3 more semesters to go. Keep your head up, do the best that you can and dont feel bad if this happened due to no fault of your own
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My husband lost his job in Nov 2007, and in Dec he started his own business.It's still tough on us, but if we can make the business work we don't have to worry about getting laid off. I lost my job on Oct 30th this year. So now we're trying to live on what little his business brings in right now. It's tough right now, and a lot of people are finding themselves in a place they never thought they'd be. I'm on unemployment & was approved for emergency benefits just last week. So at least I can have something coming in for a little while longer. I guess those funds were just released not that long ago. I hope I can find a job soon, but my husband works 7 days a week and works very long hours so I have to find part time work while the kids are in school. I'm trying to freelance too. Hang in there. I wish you guys the best of luck. I hope better times are coming for all of us.
    Anonymous

• My husband is the sole breadwinner. Last week, he just got a salary cut. Fortunately, it was right after a promotion, so we are still a little ahead. I am getting sick of this stupid economy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• DH been at his job for over 10 years and got laid off on Friday (that was his Christmas present). Had a group of adults all at different companies everyone laid off or on shut down due to GM being on shut down till late Jan. If the big three fail in March the trickle down effect will be massive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My hubby's been working at the same place for almost 21 years. He was laid off last Friday with the HOPE of going back to work on Jan. 19th, and then it might not be full time for many more weeks. We've tightened down everything financially for the past 2 years but we're still going to be hurting.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I posted this question November 15. "the day my husband got laid off" lol. It seems like everyone is getting laid off, having pay checks frozen, or cut in pay and hours.
    My husbands unemployment is less than half of what we are use to making. We applied for welfare, and food stamps. We got denied for both. So we have had to take money out of savings to pay bills, and my kids college education is almost down to nothing. I totally understand what everyone is going though. I went last week to a food bank and they gave me a $70 gift card to a near by grocery store. I never thought that I would be the one asking for help. But, as it seems, there are so many people out there willing to help. You just have to have the guts to ask for it!
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• .................... my husband's company "says" they going to bring everyone back the 3rd week in Febuary. we will wait and see if they hold to that.

My husband is a power man, everyone needs power!!!! Who would of thought they would lay them off with all the power outages in the North East lol. Oh well.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• If everyone had prepared, then no one would be nearly as hurt right now. Many of you all said that hubby made good money. You should have prepared for the future and SAVED as much as you could and lived simply. We have job security. But thats not set in stone so we saved. As of right now, we could not work at all and live the same way we are for the next 3 years.
    mikismama

Answer by mikismama at 4:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Answered at 4:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2008 by: mikismama
    If everyone had prepared, then no one would be nearly as hurt right now. Many of you all said that hubby made good money. You should have prepared for the future and SAVED as much as you could and lived simply. We have job security. But thats not set in stone so we saved. As of right now, we could not work at all and live the same way we are for the next 3 years.

SO GLAD YOU POSTED TO PUT THAT IN OUR FACE....
    GOOD FOR YOU
    I HOPE YOU FEEL ALL POWERFUL NOW!!!!!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:01 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Hey mikismama, we DID prepare and save for the future. We are debt free except for our home. We have savings that we will have to use just to pay monthly bills. It won't last forever. We live about as simply as you can, cooking everything from scratch, feeding a family of 7 on less than $200 a month, heating with wood, raising a garden every year so we can preserve it, shopping for clothing at thrift stores, avoiding all unnecessary travel, no cell phone usage,.......any more ideas?

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008