why do christians raise their hands in the air and close their eyes during music at a service?

mamajody0507

Asked by mamajody0507 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• For some, it is to concentrate/meditate.
    For some, it is part of praise and worship.
    For some, it is part of calling upon the Holy Spirit.

For many, it is all of the above!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 7:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I used to go to a Southern Pentecostal church and they did this, for them it's because they are inviting in the Holy Spirit to enter them, their dancing and even sometimes speaking in tongues was thought to be part of the Holy Spirit.
    The more modern church I went to it's just a form of dancing and rejoicing. Kind of like you go to a concert and dance but you only have a small area in which to do it in.
    we2angels

Answer by we2angels at 5:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• because they are praising god and worshiping him
    Anonymous

• It's a way to worship God. I often close my eyes to remove distractions, and picture the angels in heaven praising God . . .
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 5:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think your getting christains mixed up with muslims
    Anonymous

• Because we put out mind and hearts into the worship. When we sing we feel the holy spirit coming into out hearts and we have a great feeling of happiness in our hears and all we can do is to raise our hands and Praise the Lord.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 7:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• That is my time to lift my mind and spirit to God. I feel like He takes my hands and lifts me up and consols me when I'm hurting.
    I do it anytime I listen to my praise music, not just at church.
    If you're asking this, It seems that you don't have that personal relationship with your Lord and Savior. Once you ask Jesus into your heart and are born again, you feel so much different about praise and worship. If you need any help with learning how to be forgiven and let Jesus into your heart, I'm here to give you Scripture to help you.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• contd.
    When I taught Missionettes, I would tell my girls that if they have a hard time talking to God, sit down with a chair in front of you and talk. He doesn't say that you have special word or phrases. God made you to be you. He is your Heavenly Father and will listen no matter how you "pray" to Him. Just doit. He's waiting on YOU.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It's praise.
    They WANT to.
    They don't care if they LOOK stupid to you.
    We don't have to do what LOOKS cool to others.
    We are too busy feeling gods presence.
    We are lifting our hands up to him.
    We are praying to him.
    We don't care who watches because were really not thinking about how we LOOK when we are feeling so amazing.
    Anonymous

•  no thanks. but thanks anyway :)

That is my time to lift my mind and spirit to God. I feel like He takes my hands and lifts me up and consols me when I'm hurting. I do it anytime I listen to my praise music, not just at church. If you're asking this, It seems that you don't have that personal relationship with your Lord and Savior. Once you ask Jesus into your heart and are born again, you feel so much different about praise and worship. If you need any help with learning how to be forgiven and let Jesus into your heart, I'm here to give you Scripture to help you.

mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 3:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2008