Healthy Spaghetti Sauce?

What brand is healthy, or how can I make it healthy from scratch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Food & Drink

• this is how I make it w/out sugar -
    2 cans crushed tomatos w/ the juice - simmer w/ 1 T italian seasoning, 1/2 t red pepper flakes, 1 t marjoram, 1 T crushed garlic and (here's the kicker) 1 can of sliced carrots, drained (they provide the sweetness). simmer until warm (about twenty minutes,stirring occasionally) , then run the whole thing through the blender (so the kids don't go ewww, there's carrots in this). Then if you want, heat it back to boiling and add 1 sm can of tomato paste.
    You can change the spices if you want, or add diced onion and green peppers when you start to simmer it.
    also, when I want to make a "meat" sauce, I saute sliced mushrooms with garlic and onion, chopped everything really small, then sauteed in olive oil. I put it directly into the sauce and everyone thought it was hamburger!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• if you dont want to make it from scratch the best jar sauce in my opinion is newmans own, it is so so good. they have a few different kinds and they are all natural
    learae

Answer by learae at 9:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'd add the no sugar added jar sauce, I like Hunts in a can because it's so inexpensive, with some browned turkey meat, & cooked onions and garlic.. then I'd serve it over whole wheat pasta.. I like Barilla.. the wheat flavor is very subtle.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The canned sauces aren't horrible for you, just be sure to compare the salt and sugar contents. It contains full servings of vegetables. In fact, my doctor recommended that I eat a lot of it when I was having strong food aversions while pregnant because it was one of the "nutritious" foods I could tolerate.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Two cans of crushed tomatoes, two small cans of tomato paste and Italian seasoning, garlic, small can of mushrooms, you can cook and crumble Italian sausage if you want, simmer away!...that's how I make mine...I am not sure how a tomato sauce can be unhealthy....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Get the ragu plus veggies. It has a good sefving of veggies and its hardly noticeable
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2008