how can i get my son to enjoy christmas?

His dad was very abusive to him and made christmas one of the worse days for him. I just got him back a few months ago and hes actually scared of the day to come. He says he wants to just sleep that whole day... I dont know how anyone could hate christmas so much he is almost 16

ctown_123

Asked by ctown_123 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Well hes also a teenager and my teens want to sleep all day for Christmas also. I would just try and make new memories with him leading up to Christmas and make sure you get him some things that he will remember positively. I would also put him in counseling because getting over the past is hard enough without also being a teenager. Maybe he needs to learn how to let the past go and have someone he can talk to.

Answer by gemgem at 6:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• that is so sad. maybe have him open a present on Christmas eve and show him that it can be a happy time.
    bonnie
    BonnieMarie59

Answer by BonnieMarie59 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Could you get him to help you "plan" the day? Tell him sleeping in sounds great, maybe plan to sleep until noon. Decide together what to fix for lunch. Decide what time you are opening presents. Decide on a football game to watch or go buy a movie to watch during the evening.

Some of his anxiety may be related to not knowing what to expect on Christmas day. Planning the day so he knows what is going to happen might help.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Oh, so sorry it's like that for you. Tell him he can sleep for a while, but you would enjoy his company. If you can't get him to tell you something he wants to do, choose something YOU want to do and have him accompany you, just for about an hour. It may do him good just to see you happy. Think of something you would not have done when your ex was around.
    whirlygirl

Answer by whirlygirl at 1:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Poor thing.
    Perhaps the two of you can do a non-Christmas activity together to take his mind off of things. Going to the movies is always fun.
    I know you will have gifts for him under the tree and he may not be inclined to open them right away, but perhaps you can place a small wrapped gift on his pillow for him to see when he wakes up or a filled stocking at the foot of his bed. Just to show him that there is still love on Christmas.
    I wouldn't make a huge deal of it and push anything on him, but but extra loving and go about what you normally do. He may warm up to the preparations you are doing for the meal and try to help.
    My hugs and prayers are with him. I, too, was an abused child.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I would let him sleep... MERRY CHRISTMAS... if thats what he wants... but I would cook some good foo and offer him soon when he wants to wake up... yummy!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 11:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2008