CPS was called on me - should I worry?

I wrote a journal with all the reasons. I'm very freaked out.
http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1337503/CPS_was_called_on_me_Please_offer_advice_comfort

JennaInAlaska

Asked by JennaInAlaska at 6:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• I read your journal. First, your house looks great. Second, I don't really think you have anything to worry about. I mean, I don't work for CPS, or know much about them, but it sounds like you handled yourself very well, you didn't act like you had anything to hide (some people will, even if they have nothing to hide, kind of a reaction when they're nervous), and I think she saw that you are a good, loving mother who was simply trying to get help she needed. I will wish you the best of luck, though. I'm sure everything will be fine. Just try to be positive.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• As long as your home is clean, you have food, clothes, and since its winter heat for the kids then really they shouldnt do anything. People call cps on people all the time and 9 times out of 10 its a false reporting or someone calling to get back at someone. They have to check every report though. One thing to keep in mind is not to agree to anything without consulting a lawyer first. I have had them called on me by my ex and I had a family lawyer already. He advised me alot of times in order to keep a case open theyll ask you to agree to this or that so the state will get money for each case they do that on. If they ask you to ask them if it would be alright to have a lawyer look it over (even if you dont have one).

Answer by gemgem at 6:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Considering you went to the ER with thoughts of suicide, I can understand a little why they called. If I had been your nurse or doctor there I would have been very worried about you. I think these people probably had the best intentions for your family, and thought that the best thing to do was err on the side of caution and have someone check out your situation.
    That being said, I don't think you have anything to worry about. You did the right thing by seeking help immediately. You know you have a problem and that your thoughts were irrational. You obviously put your children's needs first, and care about them deeply. Don't worry, mama, you are doing a great job! CPS will see this too and leave you alone.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm confused why I would get a lawyer at this point. I don't have any money and don't even know how to find a lawyer. I already signed release forms for CPS to talk to the school, hospital, mental health clinic and personal references.
    JennaInAlaska

Answer by JennaInAlaska at 6:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Thanks MamaPotter. So can CPS take your children for just reporting suicidal thoughts but not acting on them? Does anyone know?
    JennaInAlaska

Answer by JennaInAlaska at 7:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• No more answers? :(
    JennaInAlaska

Answer by JennaInAlaska at 11:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I truly don't think so. If you sought medical attention you should be fine. Also, if your home is well kept and your kids are taken care of everything will be fine. There are many mothers with similar emotional issues. As long as you seek follow up care i.e. therapy or meds everything will be fine. I wish you the best.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Thanks micrespo.
    JennaInAlaska

Answer by JennaInAlaska at 12:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008