Anyone ever give a dog prozac for hyper activity?

I thought I saw this on TV, I was just curious if anyone knows any details about this.... our 4 month older German Shepard cannot calm down at times, she is so so so super hyper, jumps on everyone constantly and just does not calm down enough to learn commands. She was not always like this, it just seems to have gotten worse.

lynn63042

Asked by lynn63042 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pets

• I have heard about animals being treated with "human" medications, but I highly doubt a 4 month old puppy would be treated by any veterinarian for hyper activity. Hyperactivity in animals can be symptoms of other medical problems, but in a 4 month old puppy it would be difficult to really make that diagnosis. Have you tried increasing her exercise? German Shepards are also highly intelligent and very easily bored. I would start with increasing her level of (human interactive) physical activity first and see if you notice any change.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 7:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• She's 4 months old...and a puppy! Isn't that to be expected?

TALK to the vet before giving your dog anything she's not meant to have.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2008