Is it ok?

My son is almost 11 months and he weighs 23 lbs.. He does not fit into his rear facing car seat anymore.. Hes very long and his legs are always crunched.. He just screams when I put him in the car seat.. So I was wondering if its ok to change him from the rear to the other car seat where he is facing forward??? I know that they say ur child has to be 1 yrs old and 20 or more lbs.. What should I do??

airmom04

Asked by airmom04 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I switched my twins around 11 months, they were just too long for the rear facing ones anymore. hes not far off from one. i think its mostly for head and neck control, he should be well old enough now to easily hold up and control his head so he should be fine. you could ask yourself whats going to change in the next month that would make him more ready for that other seat? he'll be fine, go for it.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Youre supposed to wait untl hes 1. I would wait there are reasons why they say wait until 1. He could be seriously injured or killed if hes put into a front facing carseat too soon.
    Anonymous

• You're asking a question that you already know the answer to. If I told you yes, would that make you feel better? What should you do? Follow the LAWS that are in tact for a good reason. Unless of course, you want to take a risk with your child's life. You may be a good driver, but others are not.
    Anonymous

• I'm not trying to risk my son's life.. Thank You very much.. I just needed to know other mom's opinion.. Thanks for urs :-)
    airmom04

Answer by airmom04 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Is he still in an infant seat? I would get a full size car seat and turn it so it is rear facing if it's still uncomfortable for him then I would face it forward. As long as it has a 5 point harness your son will be fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Try in infant-toddler convertible. We got one for the same reason, my middle DD has really long legs. It should give him more leg room until he is ready to go forward.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I personally think it's more dangerous for him to be all scrunched up than it would be for him to just turn around. You figure if he's all scrunched up, he may not be positioned right in the carseat at all. He is already over the weight limit and that is generally more important than the age when it comes to things like this. If you are concerned about the legality, call the agency in your area that does the carseat safety checks - they may be able to give you some more insight.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 8:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Try getting a toddler seat and have it rear facing until after his first bday!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Some babies just don't like the car.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• BTW- babies don't have knee caps.
    While it may seem that he's crunched and uncomfortable, he's actually not.. It may seem an uncomfortable position to you, but babies aren't affected by comfort in the same ways we are.
    Even in an accident, he would be unlikely to be affected - his legs would be very unlikely to break.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2008