How long till baby teeth fall out?

My son will be 7 in december and just last month got his first loose tooth. Believe it or not it is still in there...more wiggly than before but still in there. It has a permanent tooth coming in behind it which I can see the top of it and feel it. Anyone else have this happen and can suggest what to do? I keep telling him to wiggle it but he doesn't. The Dentist said it was normal which I am sure it is...but I'd like to be able to help it along if I can.

AnC83

Asked by AnC83 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• DD also has her tooth coming in behind. the dentist said that it would even out once her mouth got bigger but that there was no room between her teeth yet for the adult tooth. braces may be needed but you can manually help guide the tooth into the correct place once it it all the way up.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• DD had a loose tooth in May and just lost it last week. it does take quite a while
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• thanks for the advice lol. i made a mistake..he will be 7 in september. the dentist's nurse thinks it's late but i can't help nature lol
    AnC83

Comment by AnC83 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• We noticed DD's first loose tooth while doing her nightly brushing in January and it was out 20 days later. Her second tooth took a little over a month to come out after we noticed it was loose.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• My granddaughter went through this. It's no big deal really. It's not uncommon to be almost 7 and just beginning to lose baby teeth. My DD is in dentistry & says there are very few cases (although they DO happen) where baby teeth have to be pulled by a dentist. Just keep wiggling it. If he doesn't, then you do it. Maybe make a game out of it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• It's different for each child. My son finally lost his first baby tooth a few months ago. he is 8
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 3:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• I wish I knew. My son is 6 1/2 and recently lost his 1st and soon after 2nd "baby" teeth. My other son who is 5 lost his 1st tooth a month ago. I think it's just different for each child...
    Rdnekgrl2

Answer by Rdnekgrl2 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• If the dentist said it was fine... I would just leave it alone.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• DS2 is 7 and has had 3 front teeth for a while. He lost one and both permanent teeth are coming in. This also happened with his bottom teeth. He doesn't like to wiggle his teeth and encourage them to fall out like his twin brother does.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• I know that the Dentist's nurse said it is normal and fine but it is never good to take only one person's point of view of things regardless how much training and education they might have. thanks for the words of advice!
    AnC83

Comment by AnC83 (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2011