How much money should you be making or have save before you consider having children?

My husband and I got married last september. We have been discussing the decision to start trying to get pregnant...however I'm so afraid we need to have a good deal of money saved or coming in before we bring a little one into the world...Any thoughts on being financially smart with getting pregnant?

CEOWannaBeMom

Asked by CEOWannaBeMom at 4:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Is there a number that high?!Lol!~
    It really varies on your lifestyle and plans. Good Luck!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• Um well the only monty my hubby and I saved was we made the baby his own savings account, REALLY having this baby hasn't changed our finances that much, a few doc bills for shots thats it. But that would be different if I was formula feeding him which I am not and he doesn't have health problems... there are babies in ICU or others with health problems... so you never know..
    Corbin2011

Answer by Corbin2011 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• money*
    Corbin2011

Answer by Corbin2011 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• "experts" say you should have 2 years worth of bills/rent savings... If that were the case hardly anyone would be having kids let alone before 35... imo if you have any kind of savings for emergencies, are able to pay all your bills and put a set amount in a savings account with a little to spare then you are good to go. You never know what life is going to hand you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• It depends. I think one of the major factors is your health insurance plan. My pregnancy and delivery only cost me about $200 because my plan is really good, but my sister had to pay out over $15,000 for her insurance portion. So, I would do some research.

The other factors are diapers and formula . . super expensive.

But, you can get all the baby gear you need for 500 or less if you shop around.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• When my DF got me pregnant we had....not very much cash flow coming in. But we worked on it, he searched and searched until he got a really good job...and now we just bought land & are building a house and planning baby #2! Anything is possible...so don't feel you need a certain amount of money...sit down and make a budget...then see how you would work a baby in to your plans (:
    layawatling

Answer by layawatling at 4:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• Stop worrying so much!! When you get pregnant and have a baby the weekly dates, drinks w friends, vacations, etc stop. You learn to cut back and spend more wisely. Babies don't need the most expensive new gear- just blankets, boobs, diapers and love. Waiting until you have a certain amount of money saved can take a very long time- no need to put off until tomorrow what can be done today (plus 40 weeks). Also, it can take time to conceive- time that can be used to put away extra money. Hope this helps!! Good luck in your decision on when to start a family:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2011