Two Year Old Doesnt Eat With Utensils

My 2 year old doesnt seem to understand how to hold her utensils to eat so she makes a big mess with her hands and doesnt eat that much cause she cant hold a utnesil. She can only eat it if its finger foods. Is this normal or should she know how to feed her self really well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter has been eating with utensils ever since she was about 14 months...so i dunno,..but if it worries you than you should talk to your pediatrician.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My two year old dosen't really eat with a utensil. We just give him a fork and spoon at every meal so he can practice. Somedays he attempts to use it and some days he'll use his fingers. You just got to let them learn at there own pace.
    rosie2484

Answer by rosie2484 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• There a re a few things you can do to encourage her to use utensils. First, make sure you have utensils she can grip. If she needs assistance putting food on the utensil at first, that's okay. If she's losing a lot on the way to the mouth, that's normal until they learn to coordinate it better. You can actually move her hand to her mouth (with the spoon) to show her how to bring it up without spilling. Then it's just practice, practice practice. She can also practice by pretend feeding her dolls or stuffed animals. You can even let her play in a bucket of beans or in water and let her practice pouring and scooping with spoons and cups. She'll get the hang of it. Good luck!
    usa29

Answer by usa29 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• From what I've read and am experiencing with my daughter, this is normal. Toddlers are mostly concerned with getting the food into the mouth as quickly as possible. As this year goes by, just remind her more and more to use her spoon or fork. As she nears 2.5 years, start insisting more. As she nears 3, start ending meals if she refuses.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2008