Eggnog...

Can I have eggnog? I know its a random question but I REALLY love that stuff!

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 7:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Most store bought eggnog is pasteurized, simply meaning it is heated to a safe temperature to kill any harmful bacteria. You do not need to buy homogenized, homogenized simply means that the mixture is completely emulsified in a very intensive mixing process that involved the breaking a part of the cells to get them to subscribe to a uniformity throughout the mixture... this is a given when making eggnog, so you don't need to look for it specifically because ALL eggnog is homogenized, even home made. You can also make eggnog at home if you use pasteurized eggs, they are a little more expensive but are really worth it, especially if you want to make cookie dough and just eat it raw! : )
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm sure it wouldn't hurt...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 7:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I think i just read somewhere that eggnog is not good to drink when your pregnant but i really don't know.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Ive read that eggnog is NOT good to drink while pregnant. I believe it has to do with the "uncooked" eggs. Could be harmful.

Im so glad i HATE this stuff and dont have to worry about not having it.
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• They "say" no because of "uncooked eggs", but if you've ever looked at an egg nog recipe, you boil the eggs into a custard before making eggnog. I think it's more with the cinnamon, BUT I've drank 2 gallons of eggnog in the past month and we're both fine!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• You can have the store bought pasteurized/homogenized kind. It's the homemade unpasteurized stuff that's not good.

I've drank it a few times during my pregnancy and I'm perfectly fine.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2008