Is Lucifer/Satan doing God's work?

The Bible states that God is all powerful & all knowing. Then he knew that his most beloved angel - Lucifer - would fall. Why would God make Lucifer then if it wasn't for a reason? 2ndly, is Satan really Lucifer? The Bible only mentions the name Lucifer once while Satan is mentioned many times. In the 1st chapter of Job Satan is working for God. The Bible also states that God's favorite cherub (no name) is cast in to the a dark pit while Satan roams the Earth in Job.

My own belief is that God created Satan to work for him. It's Satan's job to test humans because God humans freewill to choose how s/he lives her/his own life. As such Satan's job is to tempt people to see if the person deserves to go to Heaven or Hell after death.

I don't think Lucifer & Satan are the same creature. Lucifer is trapped forever in Hell while Satan wanders the world to tempt people because God can't directly interfere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• God can directly interfere if he wants, he can do all things. he can command Satan to do what he wants, and what he doesn't want him to do. I don't think Satan realizes he's doing God's work. as for Lucifer, he is Satan, he had his name changed when he became a fallen angel. that's IMO.
    Anonymous

• very good point.... I think i will mention this one to my pastor..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Lucifer was his heavenly name when he was in heaven. It became Satan when God casted him out of heaven. Yes I do believe that Satan is definintly a part of this earth..
    Anonymous

• http://www.preparingforeternity.com/sr/sr01.htm
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Here's something else for you to ponder.....and please no drama there's enough of that here. Did you ever think that maybe Satan did man a favor by giving him knowledge?? Do you think if it weren't for his talk with Eve, we'd be a bunch of mindless robots, as it's commonly referenced as?? As to your original post here the obvious answer is YES. An all knowing being had to know what would happen when he created Satan or lucifer in the first place. But as an atheist I don't concern myself much with what I consider to be mythology, It's a christian's hell they can burn in it or whatever.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I heard somewhere that as Jesus was God's son, Satan was Lucifers son. Dont remember where it came from, but heard it somewhere.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• a lot of people think its just God playing make-believe allowing good and evil to walk the earth, simultaneously. and then, they question why is God supposed to be a good and loving god if he allows evil/satan/etc. its my humble belief that God's original intent was for everyone to play nice, and enjoy all of creation. but, in giving free will, some choose to do as they desired(be it inherent evil-lucifer, wanting to be a god himself/equal power to God's, or simply, not as good as they could've been-eve, us.) i wouldn't say satan is doing God's work, though. scripture says ''...that whosoever believed...would have everlasting life.''-again, free will. i don't think God has changed the rules, just to go along with our plans. its the other way around.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• ..or rather, we change the rules to go along with our own plans.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm not really sure why that is in the bible. I liked some of the answers though. I'm agnostic, but am open to new ideas. I don't really believe in satan at all, but like I said I'm open to believing so it was a good question. please no bashing, I'm not saying i"m going to worship the devil or anything. Just saying because I know someone will want to think that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• its all interesting, i think, to hear/read what anyone believes. but, like we(believers) say, it'll all come out in the end, the answers/etc. who knows? i choose to be/do/think the best i can, and lean on grace when its necessary(which is more often than i'd like!).
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2008