Won't go to sleep anymore

My 9 month old daughter just doesn't want to go to sleep at night anymore. She is sick right now I don't know if that has to do something with it. I use to put her down at 7 and no problem she would go to sleep. But the last few days I've been having to take her for a car ride and than carry her in. She than sleeps for like 30 mins wakes up and than is ready to go. The other night I didn't get her to sleep till midnight. At 7 she acts tired than she takes a cat nap and than doesn't want anything to do with sleep anymore. I don't know what to do, but one thing I won't do is let her cry herself to sleep.

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well if you dont' let her cry herself to sleep, then you may have problems. you actually drive her around to get her to sleep? with the gas prices going higher? omg, i wouldn't do it. JMO.
    Anonymous

• Is she stuffy maybe laying flat wakes her have tried elevating her bed might help. Is she on any meds that might be causing her not to sleep? Warm bath might help

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I agree with the first poster- I wouldn't drive my child around, either..
    However, I DO allow my children to decide when they are tired, rather than be ruled by the clock.. We have a rough time we go to bed every night (Between 10:30 and 11pm,) but it's not set in stone.. If my children simply aren't tired, I allow them to stay up for a little while longer..

Rather than driving her around, I would suggest actually spending some time with her- play with her, bath with her, and walk her around in your arms to help her get tired..

I would not for a second consider CIO, though.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Liyoess you shouldn't let your kids be in charge. You are going to have fun with them when they are older, they are going to be so spoiled. You have to be their mom not their friend, don't be afraid. Babies and kids need to be on schedules and sometimes you have no choice but to use the cio method just make sure you check on them every 10-15 minutes. I wouldn't suggest driving them around every night to have them fall asleep because than that will be the only way they will fall asleep. Sorry to be so rude but it's the truth.
    Anonymous

• Trishy, stick to your guns. Letting them cry teaches them nothing about sleep and doesn't teach them that mom and dad are the boss, either. It just teaches them no one cares. Never mind whether it's true.

Twofold problem for you here. The first is the cold. That will upset the sleep pattern.

The second...she's a baby. They change their sleep patterns. A LOT. Don't expect regularity before the first birthday. It can HAPPEN...don't EXPECT it.

Pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Anonymous- My kids are not "in charge", they simply have value and a voice in this family.

I am not their jailer, nor do I own their bodies or emotions. I think it's more important to teach them to understand their bodies, and how they are feeling, than it is to feel as though I have control in my life by taking control of them.

My children are in charge of themselves. I'm just here to guide them along the way, not force them into submission.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 11:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Ok well good luck when they are older than. Just because you put them on a schedule doesn't mean you are "jailing" them. What's going to happen when they start school and they don't get enough sleep because you let them stay up all hours of the night? Things will be so much harder to change when they are older. It's not a problem to care, try it and you will feel better about yourself. Children need to have someone in charge and they too know that and feel that way. You can still be a mom and a friend.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous- If my kids go to public school, then I guess they'll learn after a few days of being tired and grumpy to fall asleep earlier. It's pretty basic, especially as I am teaching them to understand and know their bodies.

I disagree that children need to have someone "in charge" if it means bossing them around regardless of their feelings, and forcing them into their beds, bawling themselves to sleep at 8pm, expecting them not to get up until I'm ready to get up in the morning.. That's not the kind of mother I want to be. I want to actually give a damn about my kids, and furthermore- have THEM know I care.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2008