How do I get my 2y/o out of diapers/pull-ups.

I have been potty traning DD since shewas about 20mths. She will tell me when she needs to go sometimes. When I let her wear her panties she will go but constantly plays with the toliet (flushing and pulling paper). She will be playing with a toy sometimes and will just pee or go #2 on herself. I get so mad. I want the diapers gone. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It might, but only if she is ready. With my son, in the end, I did have to go cold turkey b/c he just would be lazy in his pull-ups. But, in a lot of parenting books, I've read that a lot of kids aren't really ready until around 2.5-3, so I don't know. All I could really say is try it and see what happens. If she starts going in the potty and having fewer accidents, then great. If it doesn't work, then you'll know that she's not quite ready.
    Something else you might try, I don't know which pull-ups you use, but they have some that get cool when they pee in them. She might respond to that better, not liking that cool feeling. Pull-ups can be so absorbent that they don't even realize they are wet sometimes, but that cool feeling might get her attention.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i dont have any advice sorry,..bt im about to begin the journey of potty training,..so whatev the advice can you relay it to me??thanks a ton!
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• She might not be really ready yet. She's only 2. Also, you say you get really mad, and you want the diapers gone. I'm not trying to be critical, but maybe you are putting too much pressure on her, and it's causing her to to do the things you describe. Although it doesn't seem like what you should do, perhaps you should kind of back off on it a bit, just take her in when she tells you she needs to go, but don't do anything else, and maybe that will help a bit.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• CONT. Anon 8:09pm Dec 21

I don't pressure her at all tropicalmama. What i actuall have been doing is sticking the pull-ups on her and just being lazy about it honestly. I dont want my child to be damn near 3 in diapers. I dont believe that right and it's embarrassing for the child and me. My plan is going cold turkey with it like I did with her bottle. Do you guys think it will work?
    Anonymous