Armidillos??? (spelling)

Okay.. so your prolly thinking wtf right? lol.... well i was born and pretty much raised in Maryland. Never seen an armidillo in my life... my and my husband just moved to Georgia...last night and a couple nights ago there was an armidillo that found its way to our backyard coming close to the deck... my husband was tring to shoot it and i told him no.... i like the ugly little thing..... my question is are they dangerous? should i let the hubs scare him away? can they have rabies?

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• They aren't dangerous. I took a vertebrate biology class when I lived in Texas, and learned they barely even have teeth! They can catch rabies, like any mammal can, but couldn't bite you even if they wanted to. I was always taught not to touch them, because they can carry the bacterium that causes leprosy. We always just left them alone. I surely wouldn't kill an animal just because it was sniffing around my back porch.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 1:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• (he was going to shoot him with a pellet gun, i would never let him kill an animal like that)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• They are harmless as far as I know. I've never had one try to attack me or anything. They basically run from you or sit there and look at you.
    Anonymous

• I have heard they carry leprosy. Not sure about it tho.
    novemberborn

Answer by novemberborn at 8:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• And this is 'Politics & Current Events' how??
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 9:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• haha. . .growing up in OK, i've only seen a live armadillo once, and it might have been at the zoo. they're roadkill.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• they're not dangerous, i don't know about rabies, and just let him scare it away if he wants to
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 9:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

Hear hear! I thought they were trying to tax armadillos now!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Just leave them alone, they are pretty much harmless and helpless. Their hard scales are their defense, they can't fight back, run fast or bite hard. Any warm-blooded mammal is capable of carrying rabies, but you are more likely to encounter a rabid squirrel or skunk than a rabid armadillo. I have no idea if they carry Hansen's Disease (Leprosy) or not, never heard of this. It doesn't seem likely, since there are millions of armadillos in the American Southwest, and leprosy is not a common disease there or anywhere else on the North American continent.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Just leave them be shit! I mean, they were there first. You don't think it would hurt to get shot with a pellet gun??? why don't you come to my house and we could do an experiment THEN you could make the decision on if it hurts or not!!!!
    Anonymous