Can a landlord garnish a government check?

I'm Navy and was wondering if my regular paycheck could be garnished. I was told it can't be garnished but he can garnish my taxes. Is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• I thought only garnishments happened if it has gone through the court system and the case won or was granted.

Anonymous

• I wonder if it's a state thing. I live in MA, and I've checked into that (I'm a landlord). NO...can't be done here. If money is owed, and the landlord wins the case in court, you can take their assets (cars, boats, bikes, etc)
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Cont. I suppose to go to court in Jan. But I do not own a car just makes payments. So they won't take that will they? Just the stuff I own which is nothing.
    Anonymous

• Being military they can talk to you SO and get you in some serious trouble.  Having outstanding debts that are in collections makes you a liability and shame to the military. You are also a risk if the "enemy" were to offer you a large cash bribe.  It's also a matter of honor, if you have repeatedly made promises to pay and failed to follow through on your obligation.   Article 134 of the UCMJ addresses dishonorably failing to pay debts and possible action faced:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/mcm/bl134-11.htm

Maximum punishment. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 6 months.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2008