Be honest!

I feel like a bad mom because I am not getting my daughter any toys for Christmas. In fact, I think I am only getting her one thing, an ornament. It is her very first Christmas. She will be almost 8 months old. She already has WAY too many toys, and my mom went crazy. We dont have the room for more toys. Plus I dont think a child should have so many toys. I want her to have a few things she enjoys. They get bored and distracted quicker with too many options. Anyways, she is getting so much, and she certainly doesn't need anything. I dont know why I feel this way... I want to make her something. I have already made her a keepsake stocking. I just feel like its not enough. She loves opening presents.... Please someone tell me I'm not the only one.

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 8:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't feel bad at all. My boys have so much stuff, and also grandma went nuts as usual, that we severely cut back our Christmas this year too. If you want her have lots of things to open you try getting some little trinket's or bake some yummies that she would enjoy and wrap them all individually. Or since you are obviously pretty crafty how about a homemade blankie? Merry Christmas to your little one.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Not related to your question..... but since you did say she has a lot of toys already and that your Mom went "crazy", I thought I'd throw a suggestion in for keeping up her interest. Get a container, maybe a laundry basket and put a few select toys in it, switch out the toys once a week, every other week, once a month, however you want, it will keep up the novelty of what she has =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Don't feel guilty. Take this Christmas to try and establish traditions that you may keep. And try and remember the true meaning of Christmas. If you think that she has to many toys then donate some to shelter of some sort so that other children will have something to play with. I hope that you can have a Merry Christmas
    P.S. My DD isn't getting much for Christmas 4 or 5 small things from us.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• She wont know any better. Take a picture of her with a toy she already has and show her when she is all grown up =)
    Anonymous

• You are for sure not the only one. And not a bad mom!!!! Your little angels isn't even old enough to know the difference. if you want her to have the joy of opening gifts then wrap an empty box and put some paper in the box. That way she'll be able to unwrap something and will also enjoy playing with the paper inside the box!!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My son is 18 months and I only bought him 2 things. We were strapped for cash this year and he is too young to understand and will probably spend more time with the wrapping paper than his actual gifts. It makes sense to not go crazy on littler ones especially when they already have too much.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• i think youre being reasonable. but you can get her something other than toys like clothes or something that she actually needs. its up to you what you get your child for xmas. you said youre getting one thing, thats enough. you dont want ther to get used to getting a whole bunch of presents.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• don't feel bad. I completely agree with your way of thinking about a ton of toys at christmas. If you want an idea, one year I went to a paint your own ceramic place and i painted a plate with butterflies and a ton of colors; it read "The day you were born, was the day that my heart came alive." It's really pretty and although she was little, she loved all the colors.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Obviously at 8 months old, she's not going to notice. But my daughter was 3 months old and her great aunt gave her a cheap rubber baby doll for that Christmas. It was her favorite "baby" forever. We still have it.....she's 26!!! haha
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I didn't buy my son anything. We don't have the money. He's only 4 months and like your daughter...won't remember or be upset for not getting anything. If your that worried about it and you know she likes to open presents...why don't you wrap up some of her old toys and let her open them. I'm sure she'll just have fun ripping off the paper. His grandparents can afford a few gifts and that makes me feel a little better because he will get a few things. My husband won a dvd prize pack on the radio and so from santa he is getting a thomas the train christmas movie.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2008