Can you believe this?

We took our son to the ER a month ago cuz he was projectile vomiting starting at 4am. He was 3 mos and I was worried about how he started acting. Every time I fed him he did it. It was around 9 am when he started acting very tired, dehydrated and then throwing up bile. As soon as we got him weighed at the ER he started acting normal again. Well we didn't have insurance because it hadn't kicked in yet and then my husband got laid off before it did kick in. Our bill is $566.00!!! I couldn't believe that. For the doc to look at him twice and say he didn't know what was wrong but his lab work was abnormal! WTH. I could have kept him home for that advice! Anyone else think our medical system is bogus??? You people that complain of military medical don't know how GOOD you have it!

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I can't believe that the bill was ONLY $566!! Yes, or medical system is FUBAR'd but that really doesn't seem so bad to me. One of our friends recently had to take there 5-year-old daughter to the ER for a UTI. They weighed her, took her temp, made her pee in a cup and wrote her a prescription. It took 8 hours in the ER and they got a bill for over $3,000.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Everyone has the right to earn wages.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• ""Everyone has the right to earn wages. ""

HUH?????
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 8:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Yah, Key word here is "Earn". They charged me 566 to say something is wrong but they don't know what. That's some easy money if you ask me! He pretty much made 250 an hour...I make 8!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• No offense, but if you're only making $8 an hour you probably didn't spend 8 years in medical school. The doctor who saw your child did. Not to mention that HE didn't make $250 an hour, the vast majority of that no doubt went to the hospital. You pay extra at an ER because of the "convenience" factor, which is kind of an oxymoron, but I'm guessing that your own physician wouldn't see him without payment up front? At a public hospital everyone has the right to be seen and make payments for their treatment. We live in a free market society and health care operates under the same principles. It is why we are a medical powerhouse, and also why these kinds of situations come up. I wouldn't be too stressed over that small of a bill. Work out a payment plan or call the hospital and ask them to reduce the charges, most places will.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I took my son to get immunizations. I could take him to the health department and get them free. I went to the clinic instead and the they charged us $1,888.00
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 9:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• dang, sisjackson..how many shots did he get? the one time we had shots at the doc's office, it was $35, plus the office visit, which was the normal $115(no insurance). and our H.D. charges $5/everyone.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Uhh no, I spent 5 years in the military protecting peoples freedom of speech rights, so they can make rude comments about how much I'm making now! You must be a SAHM because you would know that the economy is tough right now and its hard to find a job. You would know that if you were looking for one. I get unemployment and I have the ability to make 18 an hour but no one is hiring right now. My husband just got laid off and we can't pay our rent! So yah I'm pretty upset about another bill. Also, we don't have a doctor for him to go to because we haven't had insurance since October. I apologize for sounding rude, but I am not some idiot that is making 8 dollars an hour because I'm uneducated...like you make it seem.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• actually I can believe it. I have several medical bills like that for things... however I know that you can go to social services and apply for medical especially for your kid and in some states they will pay up to 3 months back on any medical bills. I would look into that. And I know the bill is outragous, but if something had come up you would of kicked yourself if you didn't go, I know the bill sux, but you did the right thing.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• check your area to see if you have an urgent care center, even if you have no insurance they are BEYOND cheaper than going to the emergency room. the doctors and staff are very knowledgeable and polite. also once your insurance kicks in it most likely will only discount an ER visit BUT will usually fully cover an urgent care center visit. call your provider and dont be afraid to ask questions!
    learae

Answer by learae at 9:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2008