How do I wean 17 month old from bottle?

My son is about to be 17 months on Dec. 27. He has rejected whole milk and soy milk makes him very gassy and irritable. He is currently drinking Carnation Good Start 2 for older babies. He refuses to take it from his sippy cup. He drinks everything else from his sippy cup. I'm worried if I just stop the bottle he won't get enough calcium. He refuses cheese as well. He will eat yogurt but he'd have to eat 5 cups a day to meet his requirements. Oh, and too much yogurt gives him loose stools. Should I just not worry about it and stop the bottle cold turkey? He currently gets one in the morning and one before bed. I've also tried every sippy cup out there..the Nuby soft spout that looks like a bottle, straw sippies, and hard spouts. Does anyone sweeten the milk to get them to drink it? If so, what did you use?

pderwin

Asked by pderwin at 8:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can stop cold turkey but it will def result in tears. He will eventually take it from a sippy. It won't hurt him to miss some milk for a few days until he can take it from a sippy. Good luck with this it won't be easy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Yeah, you're just gonna hafta take the bottle from him and give him the cup. When he wants it bad enough, he'll take it. Just leave it around for him to grab. He'll probably cry and give you a hard time about it at first, but with mine I found the easiest thing is just to sit the cup in front of them and walk away. They didn't take it at first, but I left the cup out while they were around playing and when they decided the wanted it, they came and got it. In my expeience, the more you try to get him to do it, the more he won't. Just leave it there for him and act like it doesn't matter.
    justlikeheaven

Answer by justlikeheaven at 9:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• You can let him have his bottle still. My son is 2.5 years old and today was the first day ever that he has taken milk out of a cup instead of a bottle. He would go days without milk if I didn't give it to him in a bottle before but yesterday he threw his bottle away because he was ready to be done. Why not let your son decide when he is ready to be done? It sounds like he knows how to use other things like cups and sippys and does for everything but milk. So there really is no problem as long as it is just for milk. I had my bottle till I was 4.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My oldest was 20 months before I weaned her and my middle was 2! The best way - cold turkey. Both cried, but honestly after the first night - its not that bad! It was always anticipation of it that made me continue with the bottle. But it really not that bad. Only difference for me - my kids LOvE milk. So if that was the only way to get - they would take it. Mine have always drank 2%. I don't sweeten it - they just love milk.

Have you tried mixing chocolate milk with white milk - my MIL started that - GGRRRR - with my kids. Pour about 3/4 white with 1/4 chocolate - maybe he would like that?! Let me know how it goes!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My son was 2 yrs 2 mnths, when I finally got him off the bottle. I had to trick him, he cried a bit, but it worked. We returned from our trip to India and I told him the yucky bugs had gotten all his bottles so we had to trash them. (he remembered that we trashed things with bugs on them. So I had my son trash the bottles. But then, he decided not to drink from the sippy, glass, or cup, name it and we tried it. He would cry for 15 mins when he wanted his bottle but I kept reminding him that the bugs had gotten them, and it was he who had trashed his bottles, he eventually stopped crying and asking for the bottle, but didn't drink milk. I gave him yogurt, cheese to replace some calcium, kept trying for 1 1/2 months by giving milk in the daytime and before bed, he decided he wanted milk and asked for it. It was a long hard time of daily trying, but now he drinks 2 times by asking for it himself. Good luck.
    chandni3

Answer by chandni3 at 6:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2008